Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by Fran »

My single core P4 3ghz chip, running windows 8 has no hibernate issues - using beta version 5.1 rc12a. So I don't think it's the chip score that's the problem.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Fran wrote:My single core P4 3ghz chip, running windows 8 has no hibernate issues - using beta version 5.1 rc12a. So I don't think it's the chip score that's the problem.

Fran
Yea, I think you're correct, Fran but I don't think Marcin knows what are the important attributes with CPU other than stability.
Edit: I would like to test my thesis that cooling the CPU in a way that keeps it stable may go a long way to chip stability & a stable operation. I'm going to try an experiment or two!
Last edited by jkeny on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Ok so the excel sheet is up on drive. Anyone can access it, and should be able to make modifications. If there is anything wrong please let me know. Also, links etc are going to run obsolete fairly quick, so I'll probably not bother updating them continuously.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

John - I haven't put the NUC on the list - can you do that?

Fran
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Will put up the NUC details on the spreadsheet, Fran - just tried but don't have edit access!
Tony, you should be able to compress an image using Windows image editor but don't worry I know the Zuma case looks good in a rack!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

fixed now
tony

Post by tony »

That's grand Fran. At least if people are interested in this there is a resource with some detail for them to get started.
Enjoying the zuma tonight with ciunas.Too lazy to go off downloading windows image editor just to show a photo of the zuma with no dac visible as it is stuck around the back out of view. Anyway ciunas really very good will post some thoughts on it later in the week. Wonder how it will compare with the meitner? I think it has a fighting chance as the improvements are nice,subtle and add more body to the sound.

John are you not going ahead with the nuc at the moment? Pearse are staying in california for another six months?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

tony wrote:......
John are you not going ahead with the nuc at the moment? Pearse are staying in california for another six months?
I'm just in pause mode for the moment while I consider other issues & do some experiments on cooling.
www.Ciunas.biz
tony

Post by tony »

Thats grand sure Pearse said take your time he will leave the zuma with me until we do the test.Maybe wait until early next year when the i7 nuc comes out??
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

tony wrote: Anyway ciunas really very good will post some thoughts on it later in the week. Wonder how it will compare with the meitner? I think it has a fighting chance as the improvements are nice,subtle and add more body to the sound.
That night in The Listening Suite we only heard a few minutes of the JKDac through your laptop and I thought it sounded at least as good as the Meitner. There was a lot of movement and chat going on and I suspect it was missed by most but it could certainly hold it's own that night.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

This is a tantalisingly offering - good looking fanless case, i5 or i7 CPU, - motherboard & case $415 - $455
http://www.habeyusa.com/products/bis-69 ... ic-system/

Two problems:
- US based
- It's an industrial PC & isn't available through retail channels
www.Ciunas.biz