Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:57 pm
jkeny wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:43 pm
nige2000 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:36 pm I see there's a stm32f767 development board

http://ie.farnell.com/stmicroelectronic ... 7-00001003

Is there any point trying coding ourselves?
I'm pretty sure I have some of the STM Discovery kits (I bought them a long while ago) & I can send them onto anyone who is keen to investigate?
https://www.mouser.ie/new/stmicroelectr ... ry-boards/

I think, it's this one I have but I'll check - STM32F0DISCOVERY

The good thing about these boards is that there is lots of code & apps already done for them - I have linked to some of the more interesting/relevant code in this document on my google drive Flashair folder
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nak ... sp=sharing
Is it something you've decided is too much work?
No, I was just investigating the other, direct route first in talking to the Chinese programmer which was useful
What sort of time would it take
if one knew what they were doing?
Have to say I'd be more comfortable throwing a few quid at a good local student programmer in instalments per milestone using a dev board?
Don't know how long it would take - we really need a local programmer - I'm not sure a student programmer will be able for it based on my experience with trying an XMOS programming project with a pair of 4th year computer science students - they just weren't capable even though they were recommended to me as best in the class.

There must be some knowledge from TnHF members about local programmers with STM knowledge - DAveF or Fredyrick know of anybody?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

seeteeyou wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 1:16 pm Speaking of Arduino, just wondering if there were any feasible ways to give our SLC cards a boost by feeding both power and clock separately?
Yea, definitely worth trying particularly as the SD card reader on the current SD player appears not to be the most robust & would benefit from being changed out - why not try an extension SD reader with direct 3.3V power.

I believe the current SD reader power for the SD card comes from the 3.3V voltage reg which we are replacing with battery
The clock comes from the STM uC, AFAIK
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

john,
what pin was system clock?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 11:31 am john,
what pin was system clock?
I'll have to look at the datasheet - hold on - I believe it is (OSC_in) pin 23 on the 144pin STM chip

Another interesting piece from the datasheet
Designing hardened software to avoid noise problems
EMC characterization and optimization are performed at component level with a typical
application environment and simplified MCU software. It should be noted that good EMC
performance is highly dependent on the user application and the software in particular.
I doubt this software was particularly designed with the above as a goal, but I think, if the good sound of this SD player is the result of this, it's probably a lucky coincidence & lucky discovery
www.Ciunas.biz
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Not as much progress as I would have liked. I got the ESP8266 tested and working with some example scripts - so at least I know its working. Next will be to write a script to set pins high etc to replicate the buttons, but its exam week this coming week which will cause a few delays.
Do or do not, there is no try
pistollero

Post by pistollero »

hello all, i´m trying the reclock mod with potato chip but in my case i need masterclock to the dac.
how do i connect it ??? connect mlck from sd card to potato and at the same time to the dac board with a split cable???
thks for help.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

pistollero wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:28 am hello all, i´m trying the reclock mod with potato chip but in my case i need masterclock to the dac.
how do i connect it ??? connect mlck from sd card to potato and at the same time to the dac board with a split cable???
thks for help.
Keep the wires short & just connect MCLK from potato to your DAC
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Pearse was over achieving again
making the rest of us look bad :)

sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Thanks for posting Nige, i did not think the numbering would show up when the pictures were reduced but they look OK.
It was a good exercise doing this as I found that my board had 2 small Capacitors knocked off it...i do not think it is the cause I could not get it to work with the Big 7 but you never know.

You can just about see where one of the missing caps were at position 104 to the right of the clocks under the Reg I assume, there is another one missing further up to the right not in picture.

Post by pistollero »

jkeny wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:05 pm
pistollero wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:28 am hello all, i´m trying the reclock mod with potato chip but in my case i need masterclock to the dac.
thks for help.
Keep the wires short & just connect MCLK from potato to your DAC
Thank you very much for the help jkeny. it is playing music :)