JLP wdm-ks player

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Thanks, erin, for your advice

Post by nige2000 »

Aleg wrote:
wademcinnis wrote:You have saved me lots of time.

Take care,
Wademcinnis

That almost sounds like a farewell ?;-)
Or did I just save you from delving into XP again?

You should know JLP and MQn give the most faithfull and revealing of musical reproductions I have ever heared. High Fidelity most true to the word. Very detailed and controled sound reproduction, deep and with great clarity.

The said warm, rounded analogue-type is IMHO a very limited way of music reproduction.

You should try the best setup for yourself, as is the current JLP, a core installation of Windows 2012R2, AudioPhil's optimiser, sync-ed timerresolution, clock rate and buffer size, and realtime priority settings and dedicated cores.

Cheers

Aleg
have you got jlp at mqn quality?
still find bass a little loose muddy
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Aleg

Re: Thanks, erin, for your advice

Post by Aleg »

nige2000 wrote:
Aleg wrote:
wademcinnis wrote:You have saved me lots of time.

Take care,
Wademcinnis

That almost sounds like a farewell ?;-)
Or did I just save you from delving into XP again?

You should know JLP and MQn give the most faithfull and revealing of musical reproductions I have ever heared. High Fidelity most true to the word. Very detailed and controled sound reproduction, deep and with great clarity.

The said warm, rounded analogue-type is IMHO a very limited way of music reproduction.

You should try the best setup for yourself, as is the current JLP, a core installation of Windows 2012R2, AudioPhil's optimiser, sync-ed timerresolution, clock rate and buffer size, and realtime priority settings and dedicated cores.

Cheers

Aleg
have you got jlp at mqn quality?
still find bass a little loose muddy

Have not done a-to-b testing, but tried to improve JLP on itself with the different parameters available.
Have got a lot of detail now, both of instrument and space. Also have got depth of bass, judged on itself, I believe with control and detail.
Need to do head to head testing to see if the control and detail of the bass is up there with MQn on my setup.

Still doing all this with my optimal settings of
-a 2ms
-b 260:8000
-c pcm (because I only play from wav files)
- Timerresolution 2ms
- Clockrate 23220
- + all other MultiMedia/Pro Audio optimisations
- Buffersize DDC-driver 2 ms
- squeezelite-win on own core + realtime priority
- squeezesvr on own core + realtime priority

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
LowOrbit

Re: JLP wdm-ks player

Post by LowOrbit »

I am getting more detail and depth from JLP than I did with MQN. The speed and depth of the bass is particularly satisfying.

But we are at the level of preference and subjective assessment. Both the later MQN versions and JLP are very enjoyable and deliver a great sound. I am inclined to think that the real improvements in my system have come from good power regulation and meaty linear supplies.

JLP/LMS are preferable to me simply because I can run a headless PC and control it via a tablet. In terms of getting me listening to more and a wider range of my music collection, this makes the biggest difference to me.
RPi/piCorePlayer/Buffalo2/DSP/NCores/Active Impulse H2s
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

LowOrbit wrote:I am inclined to think that the real improvements in my system have come from good power regulation and meaty linear supplies.
that's easy to test by using the original squeezelite and portaudio, if your system is optimal then it should highlight deficiencies in the original versions.

I think squeezelite and portaudio still have some way to go before they are optimal.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

LowOrbit wrote:I am getting more detail and depth from JLP than I did with MQN. The speed and depth of the bass is particularly satisfying.

But we are at the level of preference and subjective assessment. Both the later MQN versions and JLP are very enjoyable and deliver a great sound. I am inclined to think that the real improvements in my system have come from good power regulation and meaty linear supplies.

JLP/LMS are preferable to me simply because I can norun a headless PC and control it via a tablet. In terms of getting me listening to more and a wider range of my music collection, this makes the biggest difference to me.
The lms type interface or ecosystem is very practical ease of use solurion
i like it I hope were able to keep

I'm a big advocate of clean power but think it's more accurate to say their of equal importance as the os and player

A few of us did the jlp mqnsqueeze thing yesterday
I have not tried taggarts core code yet
Don't believe anyone thought jlp was better
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
2channelaudio

Post by 2channelaudio »

JLP Team (SBGK),

First of all thank you for a fantastic sounding open source "headless" player!
I have been following this thread keenly for some time....

I understand JLP is rapidly still under development and how to instructions are still to come....
But I thought it would be helpful to have a quick start guide for novice users wishing to early adopt JLP wdm-ks player.
This will prevent any basic questions repeating through the thread.

Personally I struggled a little getting my head around all the posts and instructions to get started....
A how to guide like this would have been a big help.

If appropriate I am happy to further develop/customise these instructions, as I wrap my head around the advanced tweaks/settings. I hope you don't mind me posting it here.

http://2channelaudio.blogspot.com.au/20 ... phile.html

FYI, the post does not cover advanced customisations (local player additional settings/affinity/customised bat files) but it gets enthusiastic & early JLP adopters listening.. Thanks again for a great sounding open source player. Seriously impressive..

2CA
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

great tutorial
you make me feel very lazy
im sure we'll take all the help we can get

have you tried MQn 2.7X?

thx 2channelaudio
2channelaudio

Post by 2channelaudio »

Yes I tried 2.71 and 2.59 on my i5 laptop.
Very impressive stuff, love the SQ

I am particularly interested in JLP, due to its convenience and flac playback! as most of my music is in flac...

On a side note, I can't get MQN to work on my audio only PC, which is a core duo 1.86 running windows 8.1.....
JLP works fine...

I think I need to keep trying different versions, until I find one that works.... via my usb to spdif (yellowtec puc2 lite)
Cheers
2CA
John Dot

Post by John Dot »

2CA nice tutorial.
How to make a dark background and big cover art in LMS ?
PC: CPU Q8400, 8GB Ram, Windows 8.1 x64
DAC: HRT Music Streamer II+, Asus Xonar Essence ST (+ HiEnd DYI upgrades)
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

2channelaudio wrote:JLP Team (SBGK),

First of all thank you for a fantastic sounding open source "headless" player!
I have been following this thread keenly for some time....

I understand JLP is rapidly still under development and how to instructions are still to come....
But I thought it would be helpful to have a quick start guide for novice users wishing to early adopt JLP wdm-ks player.
This will prevent any basic questions repeating through the thread.

Personally I struggled a little getting my head around all the posts and instructions to get started....
A how to guide like this would have been a big help.

If appropriate I am happy to further develop/customise these instructions, as I wrap my head around the advanced tweaks/settings. I hope you don't mind me posting it here.

http://2channelaudio.blogspot.com.au/20 ... phile.html

FYI, the post does not cover advanced customisations (local player additional settings/affinity/customised bat files) but it gets enthusiastic & early JLP adopters listening.. Thanks again for a great sounding open source player. Seriously impressive..

2CA
thanks, have added the link to the blog