MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
taggart

Re: MQN

Post by taggart »

sima66 wrote:I don't know how the AVX's sound, but the latest V9 sounds beautiful. Hope for 32 bit soon.
I like V9 very much too, the latest versions are really a huge step forward - thanks Gordon!
Currently have set up an Mini-ITX board with Ivy Bridge CPU, but will try the AVX2 versions the next days with my NUC2. It has a low voltage Haswell CPU (i5-4250U), but according to Intel White Papers it supports AVX2.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

taggart wrote:
sima66 wrote:I don't know how the AVX's sound, but the latest V9 sounds beautiful. Hope for 32 bit soon.
I like V9 very much too, the latest versions are really a huge step forward - thanks Gordon!
Currently have set up an Mini-ITX board with Ivy Bridge CPU, but will try the AVX2 versions the next days with my NUC2. It has a low voltage Haswell CPU (i5-4250U), but according to Intel White Papers it supports AVX2.
You can use CPU-Z to ceck and know for sure.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:
Aleg wrote:
nige2000 wrote:Inclined to agree
Haven't done comparative testing yet but Avx seems to be the way forward
Between low power and the new instruction set
Seem to come out on top
200 euro would do a Haswell conversion for most guys
Would like to try smaller period size
Even if its to get it out of me head
How would you read if motherboard would accept it, I mean , compatible?

Haswell mobo require the LGA 1150 cpu socket while
the SandyBridge/IvyBridge require the LGA 1155 cpu socket.

So if you're using Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge now, your mobo won't be compatible.

was thinking along these lines
we have all spent more to get less sq
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Extended- ... words=4130

http://www.amazon.co.uk/H81I-PLUS-Mothe ... s=h81+plus
Cheers
Aleg
That's what I was afraid of!
It's not only the new CPU, it's a complete new PC!

I don't know how the AVX's sound, but the latest V9 sounds beautiful. Hope for 32 bit soon.

Gordon, it looks like this little break from MQn did you good and recharged your batteries! ;-)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Nige
That is indeed a decently priced combo.

Do you have any experience comparing Haswell i3 vs i5/i7?

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Yes I've Tested Haswell i5 and i3
I could not differentiate
I could do with retesting with tasker
As the i3 only has 2 real cores
But the improvement tasker brings to it is unmistakable
There might be more Sq in a i5
But I wouldn't bet on it
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded v10 sse2

still not sure if windows audio will ever be as good as dedicated linux hardware/os outputting i2s using dma or fpga, but at least there has been some progress. Potentially ks hardware offloaded will be as good, but no sign of any devices capable of that yet.

there's an interesting thread on CA about someones visit to Paul Pang in Taiwan and the extreme system/tweaking they have untertaken.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

sbgk wrote:uploaded v10 sse2

still not sure if windows audio will ever be as good as dedicated linux hardware/os outputting i2s using dma or fpga, but at least there has been some progress. Potentially ks hardware offloaded will be as good, but no sign of any devices capable of that yet.

there's an interesting thread on CA about someones visit to Paul Pang in Taiwan and the extreme system/tweaking they have untertaken.
Nice one again. Actually, every new version trows in the dust the previous one.
V10 reminds me of 448 on steroids!

BTW seeing the PPA CF card again, brings back some "wonderful" memories!
Isn't that right Nigel? Hehehe
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
m5lig

Post by m5lig »

Welcome back sbgk.

Playing mqncontrol.exe v1 2000000
Mqnplay 24 bit v9, Using Win 12 server unmodified.

Excellent clarity in the reproduction . I prefer it to 2.71 . One small problem , at the end of playing a selection of tracks a momentary crackle comes thro the speakers.

Haven't been able to get any of the avx versions to play ,so far , but stiil experimenting.

The command window comes up on screen , and stays there but no sound from speakers.
Asrock z87m extreme4, i5 4670K, winserver2012 R2, paul pang usb card v1, sotm dx usb, minidsp 4x10 Hd, rotel 1066 amps, linkwitz LX521 speakers.
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

m5lig wrote:Welcome back sbgk.

Playing mqncontrol.exe v1 2000000
Mqnplay 24 bit v9, Using Win 12 server unmodified.

Excellent clarity in the reproduction . I prefer it to 2.71 . One small problem , at the end of playing a selection of tracks a momentary crackle comes thro the speakers.

Haven't been able to get any of the avx versions to play ,so far , but stiil experimenting.

The command window comes up on screen , and stays there but no sound from speakers.
You may want to try V2 200000 control. It works well on my system with V10. I can't play hirez, but I am not supposed to either, until Gordon releases 200000 version of it.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:
sbgk wrote:uploaded v10 sse2

Nice one again. Actually, every new version trows in the dust the previous one.
V10 reminds me of 448 on steroids!

BTW seeing the PPA CF card again, brings back some "wonderful" memories!
Isn't that right Nigel? Hehehe
I see he's using ssd again for the os
That might be a better option
The cf is a bit too problematic for my liking

Also see he's going to sell complete audio pcs
Wonder why he's not bypassed the pico psu type dc to dc converter yet I find em quite noisy