Recent Purchases

fergus

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by fergus »

Ciaran wrote:Image

The new CD of the Naïve Vivaldi Edition: Bassoon Concertos 1 with Sergio Azzolini.
I need to get that one!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared

Post by Jared »

Brahms: Piano Concertos 1&2
Clifford Curzon (Decca)

arrived today!!
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:Image
you know Fergus, I just don't seam to understand what all the hype is about the Faure Requiem.. seriously, I've listened to several versions in the vain hope that it might be my way into French choral music (hey, French CM full stop!) but I've always been quite underwhelmed... :-//
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:you know Fergus, I just don't seam to understand what all the hype is about the Faure Requiem.. seriously, I've listened to several versions in the vain hope that it might be my way into French choral music (hey, French CM full stop!) but I've always been quite underwhelmed... :-//
There are two versions of Fauré's Requiem which consist of the original version for small orchestra and that for large orchestra. Do yourself a favour and buy the Naxos version with the Oxford Camerata/Summerly....

....it is a work and a version of sublime beauty and at Noxos prices it is sure to melt even your cold heart Jared!!!!
Jared

Post by Jared »

I'm not so sure that my heart is 'cold', Fergus... more, staunchly Anglo-Teutonic!! LOL!

I've got yet another version sat on my shelf, which I'll give a try first, in due course... and let you know what I think.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:I'm not so sure that my heart is 'cold', Fergus... more, staunchly Anglo-Teutonic!! LOL!

I've got yet another version sat on my shelf, which I'll give a try first, in due course... and let you know what I think.
LOL....definitely too restricted....you need to soften up and let the light in to really appreciate the wonderful charms of this work which Summerly captures in spades!
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ did I mention my penchant for Russian, Scandinavian and Eastern European CM too?.. ;-))
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:^^ did I mention my penchant for Russian, Scandinavian and Eastern European CM too?.. ;-))
You would be in good company here as a few of us have a similiar penchant. Get the ball rolling and mention a few favourites....
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:You would be in good company here as a few of us have a similiar penchant. Get the ball rolling and mention a few favourites....
now, there's a challenge!

1) almost anything by Sibelius, with a special mention for Symphs 1,2,5 & his Violin Concerto
2) Nielsen Symphs 1-5 (still having difficulty with 6) & Violin Concerto
3) nearly everything by Tchaikovsky in small doses.. I tend to like it all, but too much at one sitting can get a little saccharine (like eating a large meringue)
4) liberal helpings of Borodin (esp his marvellous String Qt No 2) and Rimsky K (Antar, and Russian Easter Festival Overture in particular)
5) too much by Dvorak to mention ( esp 7,8 Requiem, Mass in D, Slavonic Dances)
6) Smetana: Ma Vlast round
7) Janacek: Sinfonietta/ Glasgolitic Mass
8) Liszt: Piano Concertos & some tone poems (not heard them al, yet)
9) Grieg when he's good.. love ghis PC and Norwegian Dances...

gosh, I think that will have to do for starters.. I'm exhausted!