MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jesuscheung

Re: MQN

Post by jesuscheung »

Aleg wrote:....Beside that I set mqnplay to realtime priority, but results are not appreciated by everybody so is probably system specific.....
realtime sounds pretty good when i run my cpu at full speed. can produce elegant sound. can make fine-grained sound if OS jitter is low.

however....
realtime sounds terrible when i downclock my cpu. downclocked cpu makes SQ more 'raw' feels more analog. real-time only just blurs the sound. make 'raw' into 'fat'
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

another first in the hi-fi world for MQn, had another go at an avx version.

uploaded mqnplay.exe avx 1, using mqncontrol.exe 2 core v3 from the archive, sounds ok. should be able to play 16 bit in 16 and 24 in 32 bit, no 24 bit hirez yet. In theory should be half the noise.

avx requires the latest cpus eg mine is an i5 haswell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_V ... s_with_AVX

there are a couple of optimisations missing from this version, so will get better.

shall do a 24 bit version for Tony's show if there is interest.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:another first in the hi-fi world for MQn, had another go at an avx version.

uploaded mqnplay.exe avx 1, using mqncontrol.exe 2 core v3 from the archive, sounds ok. should be able to play 16 bit in 16 and 24 in 32 bit, no 24 bit hirez yet. In theory should be half the noise.

avx requires the latest cpus eg mine is an i5 haswell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_V ... s_with_AVX

there are a couple of optimisations missing from this version, so will get better.

shall do a 24 bit version for Tony's show if there is interest.
Tried both with 44.1/16 and 44.1/24 into Diverter HR2 with Thesycon.

MQnplay starts and appears to be playing but there is no sound.
Using recommended mqnplay and mqncontrol on a Haswell i7.
OS is Win2012R2 + AO in Minimal Server mode.

Is there any other requirement for this avx technology? Thinking about the drivers, they are Windows7-drivers and not specifically for Windows8 or Windows 2012.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Aleg wrote:

Is there any other requirement for this avx technology? Thinking about the drivers, they are Windows7-drivers and not specifically for Windows8 or Windows 2012.

Cheers

Aleg
only thing I noticed is that another version of MQn wouldn't play after the avx one until I pulled the usb cable out and put it back in to the laptop. this version uses 2048 samples for 16/44. I'm using a cuinas convertor, but also works with my dev 24 bit dac.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

sbgk wrote:
Aleg wrote:

Cheers

Aleg
only thing I noticed is that another version of MQn wouldn't play after the avx one until I pulled the usb cable out and put it back in to the laptop. this version uses 2048 samples for 16/44. I'm using a cuinas convertor, but also works with my dev 24 bit dac.
don't half sound good, though. A different experience to anything I've heard from MQn before, most unexpected. Quite a lively, detailed yet controlled sound.
tony

Post by tony »

Gordon it is mainly Pearse's system as he is 'exhibiting' He will use the meitner and zuma. I will bring the ciunas and laptop would have taken my zuma if driving but flying but also it is Pearse's gig. Both of us have i7 prev. gen so the new haswell will not work no doubt Nigel will be chomping at the bit for that hires version for his ciunas! Are you going to make it to Scalford? I hope to get around some of the rooms on saturday night to compare the ciunas/mqn to an audionote dac and hopefully others of course depending on whether the exhibitors are up for it.
Looking on the wam threads it looks like there could be a lot of drinking on saturday night so maybe no trialing or testing!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

tony wrote:Gordon it is mainly Pearse's system as he is 'exhibiting' He will use the meitner and zuma. I will bring the ciunas and laptop would have taken my zuma if driving but flying but also it is Pearse's gig. Both of us have i7 prev. gen so the new haswell will not work no doubt Nigel will be chomping at the bit for that hires version for his ciunas! Are you going to make it to Scalford? I hope to get around some of the rooms on saturday night to compare the ciunas/mqn to an audionote dac and hopefully others of course depending on whether the exhibitors are up for it.
Looking on the wam threads it looks like there could be a lot of drinking on saturday night so maybe no trialing or testing!
sandy bridge/ivy bridge should have it as well, so worth a try. It's quite different, more layered.

can't make it, but hope you hear some good sounds.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Forgot to update you Tony that I rebuilt my audio PC last weekend....now have MSI B85M-G43 m-ATX Mobo with Intel Core i7 4770S, 1150, Haswell, Processor.
Bit of a gamble at the last minute and I could not get the PPA CF Drive to work with it so the OS is on the Samsung SSD and sounds OK.

Look forward to trying it out Gordon, will try it after work tomorrow evening and hopefully have it up and running for the show.
Cheers,
Pearse.

Post by tony »

What you at? Risking the computer audiophools reputation on untested equipment!!

Will try it out Gordon hopefully it works but the versions I have already are excellent. the 200000 one has more detail but I like the alternate one also (think that is the non tweaked one).
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:What you at? Risking the computer audiophools reputation on untested equipment!!
Ah it's not exactly untested
Bios settings should be worth testing though
I preferred
800mhz ram and cpu frequency
5 5 5 9 or 6 6 6 11
Ethernet and on board audio c states eist etc off
Ram voltage 1.3 to 1.4v

Avx isn't new just avx2
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's