Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

As for me, I listened to these, which I used to have as LPs, but have recently bought as CDs!

Is this the best record ever of Machaut? I can't think of a better, even though it came out thirty years ago. Once the Early Music people were mainly interested in Mediaeval music, but in recent decades it's been rather overshadowed by the Baroque. Extraordinary music of great beauty and complexity.

Pollini playing Schubert's Wanderer Fantasy. Music (and cover art) don't get much more Romantic than this!

Argerich and Kovacevich, Goudswaard and de Roo in Bartók's Sonata for two pianos and percussion. Quintessential Bartók from around the same time as the Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta. It deserves to be better known.

Lassus's Mass Osculetur Me performed by the Tallis Scholars. Ravishing! I remember hearing a bit of it on CD Review (or Record Review as it was known then) and knowing that I just had to have it. I think I got the LP in the Virgin Megastore. In those days there was import duty on records if they didn't have distribution here. In that case they would have an "Import" sticker on them and would cost about half as much again as other records. That applied to this one, but there was no stopping me, such beautiful sounds...
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ciaran wrote:Image

Pollini playing Schubert's Wanderer Fantasy. Music (and cover art) don't get much more Romantic than this!
I have that LP and I LOVE it.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Wow....Kirkby singing de Machaut!!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

fergus wrote:
Wow....Kirkby singing de Machaut!!!
She sings solo on two tracks and no others, but the other singers in Gothic Voices are very good!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Wonderful work this. I particulary like the Scherzo.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Been delving into this 9LP boxset for a while this afternoon. I didnt have anything by the Quartetto Italiano before.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote: Been delving into this 9LP boxset for a while this afternoon. I didnt have anything by the Quartetto Italiano before.
Their Beethoven String Quartet cycle is high on my wish list.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler