Recent Purchases

Ciaran

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by Ciaran »

Seán wrote:
Ciaran wrote:
DaveF wrote:Image
The full-strength real article!

Just try the way the opening of the 6th socks you in the gut!
Who is on that set?
It's extraordinary how the outside of the packaging reveals so little! Once you open it you find that it's the Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra of the USSR conducted by Gennady Rozhdestvensky. It's on Melodiya.
Jared

Post by Jared »

Payday, together with a little judicial ebay selling has resulted in these essential purchases...

...which have languished in the Amazon basket for too long...
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote: Image
There are many magical moments in that set Jared and I have no doubt that you will thoroughly enjoy it!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:Payday, together with a little judicial ebay selling has resulted in these essential purchases...

Oh that's good

...which have languished in the Amazon basket for too long...
and that is quite simple great: young Fergus put me on to that set. By the way Clara Haskil is wonderful in Mozart too.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ thanks guys...

Mozart: I have complete sets by Barenboim and Bilson as you know, besides others by Curzon, Perahia & Lupu, Anda, Serkin and a few others... I had been tempted by the Anda boxset, but the price never dropped. Everyone says the Perahia set is among the best, so I'm looking forward to another traversal in his company.

Nielsen: I've waited on this one too long, however took the plunge by putting the Blomstedt/ Danish 3CD Symph set on ebay recently, because I had to buy this before it went out of print. There are many fine pieces on this set besides the Symphs, which I really wanted quality recordings of in my collection.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:^^ thanks guys...

Mozart: I have complete sets by Barenboim and Bilson as you know, besides others by Curzon, Perahia & Lupu, Anda, Serkin and a few others... I had been tempted by the Anda boxset, but the price never dropped. Everyone says the Perahia set is among the best, so I'm looking forward to another traversal in his company.

Nielsen: I've waited on this one too long, however took the plunge by putting the Blomstedt/ Danish 3CD Symph set on ebay recently, because I had to buy this before it went out of print. There are many fine pieces on this set besides the Symphs, which I really wanted quality recordings of in my collection.
and of course you do have the Blomstedt/SFSO set?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote: and of course you do have the Blomstedt/SFSO set?
no Sean, I don't... just the Jaavi/ Gothenburg... although I know you've talked about it many times.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:
Seán wrote: and of course you do have the Blomstedt/SFSO set?
no Sean, I don't... just the Jaavi/ Gothenburg... although I know you've talked about it many times.
Oh, I see.

LOL
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ Let me put it this way Sean...

how many versions of 'Puer Natus est Nobis' by Thomas Tallis do you own? Thought not.

I own at least 4 to my knowledge and wouldn't be surprised if other, subsequent versions find their way into my collection at some stage in the future. Because I really like it.

would I be interested in investing in a 3rd set of Nielsen Symphs? No, two's plenty enough thank you... they really don't get very much airplay, although I plan to give them another dust down and play them along with the overtures and concertos in the forseeable future. They will then probably go back on the shelf for another 2 or 3 years... ;-)
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ Edit: Yes, it is 5 Tallis... BBC Singers, Cardinal's Musik, The Sixteen, Tallis Scholars & Chapel Royale...