It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 22

nige2000

Re: It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:I'm still very tempted and just to make sure that I understand correctly:

Is this amp like integrated with 11 points of volume control?
Is it possible to make it mono and use two, with double binding posts? Would two mono's be better, or not?
Amp would be able to power two sets of 57's connected in PARALLEL?
vol control is on output, 11 points,
its like the amp works at full power all the time,
and the transformer volume control converts max volume into lower impedance for the amp also allowing 11 steps of volume control
higher volume is also higher impedance but at max volume with a 2:1 max transformer impedance i think is about a third of speaker impedance, and even less at lower volumes

imagine a bridged amp 2 chips (different implementation) per channel would be more optimal for two 57's
that would mean a redesign

been able to power stacked quads and doing it well could be two different things

yea they could be better mono but that nearly doubles cost though

think it would be very difficult to do a build between ireland and canada

maybe a transformer volume control would work on your amps
there are no guarantees though
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Post by sima66 »

I just bought a "brand new" tube and my amp smoked for a couple of minutes! Now they still fight for its life!
I can't take this tube crap anymore!
Specially with the ones that I need, more expensive than gold and to not know "what's in the bag" plus make more damage!!

I will definitely be looking to find some solid state monos!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:I just bought a "brand new" tube and my amp smoked for a couple of minutes! Now they still fight for its life!
Specially with the ones that I need, more expensive than gold and to not know "what's in the bag" plus make more damage!!

ouch

yea that would be too much pain for me
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:
sima66 wrote:I just bought a "brand new" tube and my amp smoked for a couple of minutes! Now they still fight for its life!

ouch

yea that would be too much pain for me
Can you imagine this:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NOS-pair-of-RCA- ... SwNRdX-w52

or this:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2X-TUBE-211-RCA- ... SwqfNXnZYD
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

sima66,

I went to the dark side many years ago after tiring from tube anxiety.

One continuously wonders what condition the tubes are in.

With good SS this is not as much of a concern. Though the SITs can develop noise after awhile - it hasn't happened often enough to appear as a service interval.

Just like with digital and analogue - these days they both have their strong points and neither are demonstrably superior to the other.

One can maintain their audio snobbery without those lamps in the room. I can say I am much happier without them.

I certainly hope you do not HAVE to pay three thousand dollars, US or Canadian, for your outputs!!!
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
sima66

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote: think it would be very difficult to do a build between ireland and canada
I don't understand how will this work?!
Are you guys gonna meet and assembly together, or....

One more thing!
Can the L&R input on the amp be soldered/connected together inside the amp, so I can use only one output from my DAC and then connect the L&R speaker outputs of the amp to my one side (top and bottom speaker) of the stack, each speaker separately?
Same as mono, one amp will drive one side.
In this case I will need two amps.One for each side!

Does this idea/option make any sense?
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

sima66 wrote: I don't understand how will this work?!
Soldering Iron, Glue Gun and cable ties at the ready here....

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:
nige2000 wrote: think it would be very difficult to do a build between ireland and canada
I don't understand how will this work?!
yea something like that
meet up explain and demonstrate assembly,
maybe do some assembly then
assign homework and meetup again in a month
One more thing!
Can the L&R input on the amp be soldered/connected together inside the amp, so I can use only one output from my DAC and then connect the L&R speaker outputs of the amp to my one side (top and bottom speaker) of the stack, each speaker separately?
Same as mono, one amp will drive one side.
In this case I will need two amps.One for each side!

Does this idea/option make any sense?
think for proper mono would need a redesign

wait.... em ya that would work actually
probably very well
still think its near impossible feat to do the build
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Sligolad wrote:
sima66 wrote: I don't understand how will this work?!
Soldering Iron, Glue Gun and cable ties at the ready here....
all goin well intend to have build quality pretty good so hopefuly no glue in group batch
tony

Post by tony »

nige2000 wrote:all goin well intend to have build quality pretty good so hopefuly no glue in group batch
Hooray do I qualify for the no glue build?? I had been practicing my glue gun technique but what the heck.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.