Quad Mini's

Sligolad

Re: Quad Mini's

Post by Sligolad »

Finally got the Quads off the floor with a simple solution as I had been working on a design for an adjustable frame which was going to take weeks to get built.
Sound changed again and to get it all good again I had to bring the Mini's phase back to normal to match with the Raidho's.

Not quite the same soundstage but the vocals are much nicer, amazing how small movements change the sound so much, I can only imagine it is a nightmare to get 2 or 3 way speakers to work.

Going to leave them where they are now in the Elephants Ears position.

Post by sima66 »

Call me crazy, but first thing were I will put them is right under the Raidho's, aligning the front of the Quads with Raidho's and then just play a bit with fine tuning (just a bit back and forth and tilting).
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Not crazy at all Adam, the frame with tilt and rotate I am modelling at the moment and it will allow me to fit the speakers in a very limited space below the Raidho's but I am some way from completing this.
The Raidho stands do not allow much room for getting the Quads in below the speakers.
Lots of other stuff on at the moment so doing some work on this whenever get some time.

The Quads brackets with tilt have yet to be dmodelled and will attach near the ends of the 2 swinging arms and height will be adjusted by wooded legs which I have of various lengths from the existing Rack system in the pictures.
Might take a while but in the meantime i found an enameled steel plate with holes in the ends which allowed me to suspend the speakers off the current rack.

Post by tony »

Got to hear the Raidho's today and mightily impressive. Incredibly musical and definitely wife friendly I should of got Anne down for a look.
The amount of bass from a tiny enclosure was startling. Again would have to live with them for a period to with my own musical preferences but I think regardless if I was stuck with these babies I don't think I could find any serious fault with them. I can understand how Pearse feels they just lack a bit of the sound stage of the Quads but that issue seems to be sorted but didn't get to hear the mini's yet. Still not sure if I will be laughing or crying when I finally get to see them!

Big speaker day really we got to hear Janusz Ceramic coned standmounts again. Had heard them in Fran's a good while ago now and not for the first time today gobsmacked by the level of attack and detail in a pair of stand mounts albeit bigger enclosures than the Raidho's.

Could live happily with either speaker when we compared the Quads to both they struggled to give the same level of precision but they still have a beguiling signature I like. Learned anything from today is regardless of speaker type there seems to be some compromise but rarely does one hear a group of speakers that one would be happy to own any of them.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Agree completely Tony, there were some great sounds yesterday and those speakers Janus brought along really had a great sound-stage with a magical delivery.

It was interesting when I got the Raidho's setup again last night with the Mini's how different the presentation was compared to all the listening over the weekend to not only all the speakers at yours but at Darek's place as well, amazing how in hearing so many speakers in a weekend that each can sound so distinctly different.

The good thing out of it all is that the Raidho's with the Mini's after all of the above sounded amazing together again last night so I think I am happy where I am for now.

Post by tony »

One significant fact that came out of yesterday was the realization that Fran makes an incredible brown bread. If he gets fed up in the day job definitely he could wear the apron with aplomb. He aint half bad at wine selection either that bottle is going down nicely thanks very much appreciated.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Did Pearse find all his speaker stand bits later?
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

we listened to a lot of gear yesterday between different sources and speakers which can get a little confusing by times when trying to cross compare with variables

think tonys pc/dac/amp sounded more detailed than i heard it before, the raidhos sounded great too fast and deep bass and magical at times but not just the same soundstage and imaging as the quads or the speakers formerly known as "Janusz's speakers with the long story" which were very revealing and super fast which might be unforgiving on poorer setups/recording, however right down my street as i love the speed and detail and imaging/soundstage

the yggy sounded much better than i was expecting
id sure like to hear it again without so many variables
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Ivor wrote:Did Pearse find all his speaker stand bits later?
Tony found the final bit just before i left Ivor, hiding between the timber on the ground...thanks all for a great evening.

Post by tony »

nige2000 wrote:we listened to a lot of gear yesterday between different sources and speakers which can get a little confusing by times when trying to cross compare with variables
think tonys pc/dac/amp sounded more detailed than i heard it before, the raidhos sounded great too fast and deep bass and magical at times but not just the same soundstage and imaging as the quads or the speakers formerly known as "Janusz's speakers with the long story" which were very revealing and super fast which might be unforgiving on poorer setups/recording, however right down my street as i love the speed and detail and imaging/soundstage

the yggy sounded much better than i was expecting
id sure like to hear it again without so many variables
A few points, Agree re lots of variables, The yggy ended up on the mobo usb as it wasn't working with Intona and regen I think down to my pc. Same issue for me this morning had to fiddle around with some wires! to get it working again.

Nigels sd card yoke made an appearance and sounded alright! Still a work in progress but the Soekris dac has nice analogue flowing nature to it. If Nigel can do his mods without blowing it up no doubt it is going to be chasing down the Big7.

Longer I listened to the Raidho's the more they emerged as my favourite.After the Quads of course! which ended up too far out into the room yesterday.Bass is better when they are closer to the back wall but they will never be able to match the stand mounts in speed and volume levels. Pearse probably has the best of all worlds with the quad mini's thrown in.