Munich HiFi Show 2016

Sligolad

Re: Munich HiFi Show 2016

Post by Sligolad »

Hi Fran,

Just realized you have made your plans based on the Messe in Munich but the show is in the MOC Munich Order Center which is a smaller venue north of Munich.
It was only when I was looking at transport this morning and I was trying to find your Hotel i noticed where you were.

Cheers, Pearse.

Post by Sligolad »

Satrus wrote: I think they used your speakers (are they about €24k?)
If they were single driver on stands then they may have been the later D1.1 units (look exactly like mine except they are supposed to be an improved version) which are listed at £16,399 in the Walnut Burl finish in the UK and with Sterling the way it is that could bring you close to €24k.

Probably more likely they were a D2.1 pair which is next up in the range with 2 drivers which are listed with standard finish cabinets at £24,999 in the UK and £28,150 for the Walnut finish.
All a bit mad in price and they even go up to the D5 at £145,300 in Walnut.

Got my C1.1s with stands and in Walnut for £3.5k which is waht made them attractive to me given a list price of £12k and they are in immaculate condition.
Cheers, Pearse.

Post by Diapason »

Sligolad wrote: Got my C1.1s with stands and in Walnut for £3.5k which is waht made them attractive to me given a list price of £12k and they are in immaculate condition.
Cheers, Pearse.
Definitely worth a go. You'd have been mad to pass up that opportunity.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Satrus

Post by Satrus »

Sligolad wrote:
Satrus wrote: I think they used your speakers (are they about €24k?)
If they were single driver on stands then they may have been the later D1.1 units (look exactly like mine except they are supposed to be an improved version) which are listed at £16,399 in the Walnut Burl finish in the UK and with Sterling the way it is that could bring you close to €24k.

Probably more likely they were a D2.1 pair which is next up in the range with 2 drivers which are listed with standard finish cabinets at £24,999 in the UK and £28,150 for the Walnut finish.
All a bit mad in price and they even go up to the D5 at £145,300 in Walnut.

Got my C1.1s with stands and in Walnut for £3.5k which is waht made them attractive to me given a list price of £12k and they are in immaculate condition.
Cheers, Pearse.
Everything I saw and heard in the Raidho room was priced in Euro, Sterling is irrelevant in Europe (thank God!) unless you are talking about U.K. manufactured components (Naim, SME etc.) but these are all priced in Euro at the MOC show. I am pretty sure the first set of Raidho speakers were €47K or thereabouts and then our friend Lars put those to one side and introduced a smaller pair of speakers that retailed at circa €24k. I can recall because I went out of the room to look for my friend so that he could hear these speakers. He was more interested in the Dutch range of Kharma loudspeakers from Holland though. It sounds like you got a great deal and I hope you enjoy them immensely!

Just for the record and in case people are not au fait with Munich, Thursday the 5th May is Ascension Day in Munich which is predominantly Catholic. It is a National Holiday and no shops or businesses will be open. So if you plan to arrive on Thursday, just be aware of that. Thursday is a trade only day at the High End Show. Also, record stores generally tend to open around 15.00 hrs in the afternoon and remain open until 19.00 hrs. Saturn in the centre of town opens from 9.30 to 20.00 hrs but it will be closed on Ascension Day. Muncheners value their national holidays and free time in stark contrast to Ireland where shops/stores are open 7 days a week.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Sligolad wrote:Hi Fran,

Just realized you have made your plans based on the Messe in Munich but the show is in the MOC Munich Order Center which is a smaller venue north of Munich.
It was only when I was looking at transport this morning and I was trying to find your Hotel i noticed where you were.

Cheers, Pearse.

Ooops, missed that - thanks for letting me know, I might not have caught that until it was too late. Funny - even the logo looks the same.

I've had a look there, it looks like my hotel is about 40 mins away via underground - I think I'll stick with it at that rate. I'll only be going to/from it Sat night and Sun Morning anyway.

Can't wait!!

fran
Do or do not, there is no try
sebna

Post by sebna »

Congrats Pearse on the new speakers! I hope they are as good as you remember them but those have only rave reviews no matter where you check :) so they must be great. Looking forward to hearing them one day :)

If I am not mistaken one of the main differences between C and D series is the material used for membrane of the drivers. Ceramic vs Diamond impregnated.

Cheers,
seb
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
Claus

Post by Claus »

Ah two things to envy in one thread!
Congrats on the speakers Pearse, I had my eye on that model for years! You'll have to invite me over for a listen when they've settled in... :)
Have a great trip to Munich! Wish I could go as it sounds brilliant!

One thing not envying:
#lars voice on# "if you don't use this _____ you will have BAD SOUND!" (Eyes rolling in head)#lars voice off#;)

(I of course find my fellow Dane very funny but also slightly embarrassing) ;)
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

sebna wrote:Looking forward to hearing them one day :)
If I am not mistaken one of the main differences between C and D series is the material used for membrane of the drivers. Ceramic vs Diamond impregnated.

Cheers,seb
Claus wrote:Congrats on the speakers Pearse, I had my eye on that model for years! You'll have to invite me over for a listen when they've settled in... :)
Have a great trip to Munich! Wish I could go as it sounds brilliant!
OK for a listen any time guys, just drop me a PM or give me a call.

After doing better research I discovered my speakers are the original C1 release before the C1.1, the same is essence apart from some tweaks to the voice coil and tweeter ribbon.
Same technology with C for ceramic Seb and D for an additional diamond coating.
Some links below on the Tech in C series and D series speakers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6hfos7CdCg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qGA1pv0a18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHLXliDos6I

Looking forward to the Munich Show Claus, giving myself plenty of time to take it all in and have several visits to the rooms that do the business.

Cheers,
Pearse.

Post by Claus »

Thanks Pearse! I saw a demo with Lars there on YouTube. It turns out I have bad sound because of my (inverted) dome tweeter! I will pm you asap...
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Was not long coming round....Munich starting in a couple of days.
Looking forward to it :-)