Item Phase IV Computer Audio Recipes

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
item_audio

Re: Item Phase IV Computer Audio Recipes

Post by item_audio »

Sometimes the fun thing about a recipe is changing the ingredients. Sometimes the cake collapses in a heap!

There are many ways to skin this cat - especially now. The choice of case is pretty immaterial - the big, heavy ones have better vibration damping. Also, the processor is interchangeable: the Celerons are the best value; the QuadCores are all you need for DSD resampling. But sticking to that motherboard will make your life easier in the long run - as software and hardware upgrades we make available will only be compatible with that board.

I'll be publishing one Windows and one Linux image that will take all the hard work out of OS optimisation, and - like we did with the third generation T1 - update it when something interesting comes along. But again, it will all be based on that board: life's too short to develop many different motherboards, and that one ticks all the boxes.

What's not to like?! Low energy, small form factor, fast PCIe, 1600MHz memory, best motherboard USB output, and cheap.
tony

Post by tony »

[quote="Alan Brown"]

Hi Tony

I mentioned the SuperFlower, it's the same thing - the Leadex. I just prefer calling it the superFlower. Su. Per. Flow. Er. You don't get a name that cool & not use it!

I want to get as far as I can on a limited budget, so I'll be trying it out.[/quote

Welcome Alan at least you will get whatever advice you want etc here without 10pg interludes.
No experience of that supply. Nigel is the resident expert and he would probably advocate the lifepo4 battery route with linear supply and transformer where required. But that power supply is worth a punt and seems easier to work with starting off.

Don't go mad on stuff initially just get the basics but choose carefully to allow you upgrade if funds or interest is piqued. Put the operating system on usb key it is the cheapest option to get started but requires separating power supply from mobo for best SQ. But again you don't have to do that.£20 gets you running on 2012R2 on a usb key{sandisk extreme).
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown »

Thank you Tony, that's very kind.

Here's a numpty question then; if I run an OS from a flash drive, does that mean multiple OS are feasible?

I mean something bog-standard on the machine that's easy for everybody to use, but a separate OS etc for serious listening on a flash drive?

Forgive me, but I've never thought in these terms before.
tony

Post by tony »

Yes you can run dual boot on one drive if required. If you use a usb key you can change setting in bios to boot from usb first. So once in place it will boot from that.

If it is a shared PC you can work initially without the usb and when you get time/inclination try out the usb.
Clean power to the usb using a double header I think Item sells a made up one I was lucky as Nigel made me one allows you run the usb key from an anker battery supply.

Haven't time to check out the supply you are getting but assume you are putting it in a standard case.
Most of us here are using streacom fc5evo cases. Fanless. Single Maplin supply with pico will get you up and running if you go down that route. After that if you think it brings something to your system you can talk/check out the myriad options. Some great guys here who are very helpful and no doubt Mark will offer plenty of advice also.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
item_audio

Post by item_audio »

We quite often ship pre-built third generation T1s dual boot - usually with W8.1 + XP; sometimes Linux. Windows 8 is very accommodating to dual boot.

Typically, I set the default OS to our heavily stripped XP (second only to Server as far as low overhead/realtime operation) for headless operation. But if you need your machine in regular or multimedia mode, you just connect your keyboard, mouse and monitor and specify W8 as 'today's' OS.

You can even triple boot a Hackintosh, but that's another story . . .
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

item_audio wrote:We quite often ship pre-built third generation T1s dual boot - usually with W8.1 + XP; sometimes Linux. Windows 8 is very accommodating to dual boot.

Typically, I set the default OS to our heavily stripped XP (second only to Server as far as low overhead/realtime operation) for headless operation. But if you need your machine in regular or multimedia mode, you just connect your keyboard, mouse and monitor and specify W8 as 'today's' OS.

You can even triple boot a Hackintosh, but that's another story . . .
Usb3 operating systems are handy for experimenting
Either boot from your audio usb key o's or to your everyday o's ssd
Usb installs have a procedure but not difficult
Ssd's do not
Clean power mod for ssd is more simple
usb there's no worries about sata cable sound

The difference in sq isn't much powered cleanly
I prefer the usb sq wise but the price wins me over

Extreme audio PC's are more or less one purpose only

I.e. getting into under clocking

Vlc player on win server r2 sounds better than audivarna on same audio pc/ Hackintosh

Mac osx seems to be a bit of a no go unfortunately

Alan the mobo you've listed over on jplay has lots of features on a heavily populated board
Usually more a noisier situation
Just depends how much your into it
If you ever get into fine tuning might become an issue
But most builds are still flawed enough not to be a priority
Can't hear the cars passing by when your mowing the lawn sort of thing
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
item_audio

Post by item_audio »

nige2000 wrote:Can't hear the cars passing by when your mowing the lawn . . .
Good quote; handy principle.
Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown »

Thank you, Nige. It pains part of me a little to be building a compromised machine, but I have to be realistic & pragmatic. I am expecting this thing to outperform the previous Mac simply because the split power supplies & mobo are better (the Mini was passive & solid state already).

Did you see my post indicating a probable switch of motherboard to GA B84N? There is less on it, it's a better layout for passive cooling and probably a better starting point.

I have never looked at motherboards before. I started out looking at the latest & greatest because I wanted to ensure a good match with the processor and a capable HTPC, but it seems such concerns aren't really critical. Most of them look like they'll do a fine job. I am getting a decent processor which can always be swapped to another board in the future, they aren't too expensive.

Moderate underclocking and other BIOS tweakery looks like fun and a steep learning curve, it will be interesting to see what (if anything) is possible without fluffing up the HTPC side of things.

I appreciate the information on multi operating systems, that's going to be most effective in my situation.

Thank you again everybody, please keep your experiences coming!

Best regards,

A.
2channelaudio

Post by 2channelaudio »

maybe consider some thing like this.
http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/pro ... id=5049#ov

uses standard atx 24 and 4 pin power.
no dc conversion on the board.
2ghz quad core Celeron and only 10watt.

you could run this off a linear PS setup or a good PS like leadtek or seasonic.

I am grabbing one myself.
The dvi version is easier to come by at the moment, and is highlighted in item audios post.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

2channelaudio wrote:maybe consider some thing like this.
http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/pro ... id=5049#ov

uses standard atx 24 and 4 pin power.
no dc conversion on the board.
2ghz quad core Celeron and only 10watt.

you could run this off a linear PS setup or a good PS like leadtek or seasonic.

I am grabbing one myself.
The dvi version is easier to come by at the moment, and is highlighted in item audios post.
make sure its got avx instruction capability, i wouldnt bet on it with this board
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's