Tonearm woes

Ivor

Re: Tonearm woes

Post by Ivor »

Jasus.... if I could shag it I would.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Ivor wrote:Jasus.... if I could shag it I would.
Hmmm, as you one of my old college "acquaintances" can testify, you need the bass port of an Acoustic Energy AE109 for that.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Ah Ivor.... I'll make you a special one!!

Si: theres a place for everyone on t'internet!!

As an aside, I have to again mention the generosity of Frank Schroeder. I had posted about how I thought that the arm was a bit "stiff" (ahem) in the up and down axis of travel. Within a few hours he had come back telling me to modify where the thread was attached or to use different magnets. Like Nelson Pass, his time given back is incredible.

I did his change tonight, and indeed it has sorted out the problem.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote:Ah Ivor.... I'll make you a special one!!
Fran
You're gonna need more wood. ;)
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Is that what she said last night?
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

..aaaaannd moving along swiftly (or not)

I got a bit of time today to do the loom for the arm. The wire is the same as I used on my air bearing arm, its transformer wire - enamel coated stuff. Its also incredibly fine - much less than a hair. Working with single strands is a challenge - for example, when sanding the ends to remove the enamel, the wire lodges in your fingerprints, so its hard to sand it. I don't know if you will be able to see the scale clearly enough in the pic, but the screw in the box is about 5mm across. Anyway, the idea is that the loom terminates in that box which I can fasten to the back of the deck with double sided tape or whatever. No damage to the deck if I need to remove it.

jkeny: this is the wire you gave me ages back, was it stuff that Dave Slagle (renowned transformer maker) uses for some of his step up transformers?

Pics:
IMG_7301.jpg
IMG_7301.jpg (109.55 KiB) Viewed 482 times
IMG_7302.jpg
IMG_7302.jpg (108.67 KiB) Viewed 482 times

Next up: counterweight, the brass arrived today.

Fran
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Fran wrote:Ah Ivor.... I'll make you a special one!!

Si: theres a place for everyone on t'internet!!

As an aside, I have to again mention the generosity of Frank Schroeder. I had posted about how I thought that the arm was a bit "stiff" (ahem) in the up and down axis of travel. Within a few hours he had come back telling me to modify where the thread was attached or to use different magnets. Like Nelson Pass, his time given back is incredible.

I did his change tonight, and indeed it has sorted out the problem.

Fran
Jeez, Fran, I didn't realise that it was Frank Schroeder himself posting on that thread - full marks to him!

Yep, that's the litz wire that dave Slagle sent me with my transformers.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Yes, berlinta is his username.

Right back at the start he agreed to help out, but if he found 1, just 1, being made for sale he said the lawyers would be on the case!!

but apart from that, the real loss would be his goodwill and knowledge that he's giving freely.

Fran
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Fran,
Has anybody finished one yet & reported on the sound or will you be the first? It will have a hard time beating your air-bearing arm!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Ah quite a few have made them and have been happy. Its a thing though that there will never be as many makers of this arm as say, the pass stuff - people just don't have the equipment/means to make them.

However, the real motivation in going for this was the universally positive reviews by all the big guns of the Schroeder arms - I've haven't seen one dodgy review anywhere. There are a good number of arms in that category, eg triplanar, graham, kuzma and so on. But none of them are as easy to make or have the maker there guiding you along! And you playing against some serious high $$ equipment too! Also, its something different to the linear tracker - variety is good!

Hopefully more pics tomorrow!! Counterweight is done and I think should be about the right weight.... looks good too I think!

Fran