Turntable Cartridges

fergus

Re: Listening Session - Dacs/CDPs

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
I really wanted to upgrade my worn out cartridge to something better but now I'm going to have chuck my money at the Sony instead and also a new rack to house the system properly. The cart upgrade will have to be postponed.

I would be curious to know what your plan for eventually replacing that cartridge is: do you have something specific in mind as a replacement when you eventually get around to it?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:
DaveF wrote:
I really wanted to upgrade my worn out cartridge to something better but now I'm going to have chuck my money at the Sony instead and also a new rack to house the system properly. The cart upgrade will have to be postponed.

I would be curious to know what your plan for eventually replacing that cartridge is: do you have something specific in mind as a replacement when you eventually get around to it?
I've shortlisted the following:

Sumiko Blue Point
Clearaudio MC Concept
Van Den Hul The One Special
Van Den Hul The Frog :-)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Re: Turntable Cartridges

Post by DaveF »

Decided to move this from the DAC/CDP Listening Session thread to here
fergus wrote:
DaveF wrote:

I've shortlisted the following:

Sumiko Blue Point
Clearaudio MC Concept
Van Den Hul The One Special
Van Den Hul The Frog :-)

Both of those Van Den Hul carts are supposed to be pretty special but The Frog is really really expensive coming in at over 2K.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I have a sumiko blue point 2 you can have an extended loan of. I don't think there's excessive miles on the clock but it's well used. It might cure that notion for a while!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Ivor wrote:I have a sumiko blue point 2 you can have an extended loan of. I don't think there's excessive miles on the clock but it's well used. It might cure that notion for a while!
Thanks Ivor, I might take you up on that offer.
Would you mind moving the last 2 posts here over to the Cartridges thread? Ta
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

On the phone right now so tricky, will have a look when on the pc.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
fergus

Post by fergus »

Cheers Dave. I curently use the Sumiko Blue Point and cannot fault it. Mine is also coming to the end of its life so I am looking to replace it. I must do some research on the Van Den Hul cartridges that you have mentioned above.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

[I've moved some posts from the CD and DAC thread.]
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:Cheers Dave. I curently use the Sumiko Blue Point and cannot fault it. Mine is also coming to the end of its life so I am looking to replace it. I must do some research on the Van Den Hul cartridges that you have mentioned above.
I know that Noel Cloney highly regards the 'Van Den Hul The One Special'. Takes 2 weeks for it to be hand made. Not cheap though as it comes in at just under 1400 Euro but it does give a taste of what the serious high end carts from Van Den Hul do I'm told. The Clearaudio MC Concept is around 700Euro mark.

The only other thing I have to look at is that my phonostage is pretty a basic one from Pro-ject but I have something planned for that.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
fergus wrote:Cheers Dave. I curently use the Sumiko Blue Point and cannot fault it. Mine is also coming to the end of its life so I am looking to replace it. I must do some research on the Van Den Hul cartridges that you have mentioned above.
I know that Noel Cloney highly regards the 'Van Den Hul The One Special'. Takes 2 weeks for it to be hand made. Not cheap though as it comes in at just under 1400 Euro but it does give a taste of what the serious high end carts from Van Den Hul do I'm told. The Clearaudio MC Concept is around 700Euro mark.

The only other thing I have to look at is that my phonostage is pretty a basic one from Pro-ject but I have something planned for that.

Thanks for that Dave. I know of the Van Den Hul cartidriges but I have never given them any consideration for some reason. I must do the necessary research and perhaps have a chat with Noel.