Ripping my CD collection

mick

Re: Ripping my CD collection

Post by mick »

Diapason wrote:Interesting, although you'd have to say it seems a little pricy for what it is. Not like all those other hifi components that are not at all pricy. At all.

I can feel myself being sucked in here. I'm on dangerous ground.
Shiny box syndrome. A very serious condition
tony

Post by tony »

Streacom case couple of hard drives and i3/processor/mobo and off you go. Big savings on that box.
Quick look of that nad suggests it hasn't a cdrom drive. I would be expecting it to have software setup
that would just require you feeding it some disks. It looks like you still have to do the hard work.

Count yourself lucky (chicken pox). When they get older it can feel like the world is ending every day.
And that is just if they run out of false tan!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Looks like I accidentally left out the other half.... the NAD M50...

Interesting write up here...

http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/ ... mer-server

If I have got it right.... the M50 is a player / transport, connects to the M52 music vault, rips all your CD's, gets the artwork, track names etc,,,,, and then can play it via various outputs.

I suspect it must be controlled via a application program (android, Ipad??).

As for all the technical jargon... I am a bit lost.

And yes it is going to cost money... but if it works well, allows one to rip CD's then it might suit some people.

There must be other manufacturers making something similar??
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

That looks a bit more like it. Better than a bottle of fake tan, anyway.

Edit: Still mad money, though. I couldn't justify it at all at all.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Another option... not sure how much... and a external HD is required for storage..

http://www.weiss.ch/products/man301

tony

Post by tony »

Adrian wrote:Another option... not sure how much... and a external HD is required for storage..

http://www.weiss.ch/products/man301

Now your talking Adrian this is the type of stuff Simon prefers no half measures. Unfortunately his quest for a nice dac will be on hold
if this swiss baby is purchased.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Well I am not having much luck with getting a price on the MAN 301.... however it would appear to be around £6K.... or $9K.... and a DAC upgrade is $3K which puts the complete server unit at $12K.

I don't think I will be getting one... sort of makes the NAD look cheap in comparison.

I'm kind of getting the impression that Hi Fi components are getting more and more out of my budget... must be the fact that Sterling is strengthening against the euro or something.

Or else there is something amiss..... perhaps it is the snobbery factor.... where manufacturers know that if they want to sell something ..... it has to be expensive?
tony

Post by tony »

Adrian wrote:Well I am not having much luck with getting a price on the MAN 301.... however it would appear to be around £6K.... or $9K.... and a DAC upgrade is $3K which puts the complete server unit at $12K.

I don't think I will be getting one... sort of makes the NAD look cheap in comparison.

I'm kind of getting the impression that Hi Fi components are getting more and more out of my budget... must be the fact that Sterling is strengthening against the euro or something.

Or else there is something amiss..... perhaps it is the snobbery factor.... where manufacturers know that if they want to sell something ..... it has to be expensive?
Weiss is swiss made and has a good expensive rep. A €1000 would give you something just as good but without the bells and whistles.
Most of us just have an external hdd or maybe some SSD's.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Adrian you're worse than any pusher! All these shiny boxes I can't afford.

Have to say, though, I agree with you about pricing, and I've heard from one or two sources that (on the speaker front especially) a few manufacturers are doing better as they push prices up and bring out cost-no-object flagships as they appeal to a certain kind of market (Russian, Asian). There's no credibility if the pricing is midrange, apparently. Not good news for the rest of us.

But anyway, the ripping continues. I think I've ripped 15 CDs in total so far, the process seems to take roughly half the length of the playing time of the CD so progress is slow. Still, once it's done...
tony wrote:Unfortunately his quest for a nice dac will be on hold
Dammit, I didn't know I was on a quest for a nice DAC as well!!!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2