Ceol Speakers

Diapason

Re: Ceol Speakers

Post by Diapason »

Ah, no alt-gr. In that case <ctrl><alt> u is your only man.

(Sorry for taking this thread OT!)
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

jkeny wrote:Thanks Terry,
I remember Audiotek in Rathmines - I bought a Pioneer A400 amp there.
I bought my first real hifi system there.

Sansui FRD 25 turntable (I found the headshell + cart just the other day!)
Canbridge p50 amp
Videoton speakers.

Frank even lent me a "Proton" CD player once and I'm pretty sure it never went back to the shop! Actually now that I think of it a (far less fussy) mate of mine has it in his system.

Come to think of it I bought my first VCR there, and our first new TV, and our first kitchen "beatbox".....
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Remember a place in Hibernian Way ? Early 90's ?

Can't think of the name. Short lived though.
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Gerry D wrote:Remember a place in Hibernian Way ? Early 90's ?

Can't think of the name. Short lived though.

Livewire? Something like that? They did a lot of Audiolab level stuff but also a lot of awful "rack" systems from Hitatchi/Akai/Pioneer/Kenwood type brands which chipped away at their credibility.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

The Hibernian way place was called LiveWires - and it was where I purchased my first real system.

Denon amp
Mission 760i speakers
Aiwa tape deck
technics CDP
kenwood trio TT with an ortofon cart!

And I tell you, it sounded feckin' great! I still have the tape deck and CDP - both still working too!! I still have the receipt too.....

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote:The Hibernian way place was called LiveWires - and it was where I purchased my first real system.

Denon amp
Mission 760i speakers
Aiwa tape deck
technics CDP
kenwood trio TT with an ortofon cart!

And I tell you, it sounded feckin' great! I still have the tape deck and CDP - both still working too!! I still have the receipt too.....

Fran
I think every time I went into that shop there was some young fella (that'd be you Fran!) buying Mission speakers.

jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Where is Hibernian way?
There were another 2 Hifi places along Aston quay - one where the Students travel place is now ( I think) & another further up along where the halpenny bridge is. Any one remember these?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Hifi corner beside Virgin, and Lafayette opposite the ha'penny bridge. I remember hifi corner especially well, it was the scene for a legendary Audiolab 8000A dem on a very hungover Saturday morning.

I'd forgotten LiveWires. I bought something there once I'm sure... Royal Hibernian Way connects Grafton St to Dawson St JK. Was there another place in the Irish Life Mall?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

jkeny wrote:Where is Hibernian way?
Opposite Molesworth Street on Dawson St.
jkeny wrote: There were another 2 Hifi places along Aston quay - one where the Students travel place is now ( I think) & another further up along where the halpenny bridge is. Any one remember these?
Lafayette was across from the Halpenny Bridge - nearly all Aiwa stuff. Richer Sounds was a few hundred yards down past the H'alpenny Inn. The same guy had the more high end Lyric in Stephens Street.

There was another small Hifi shop, "HiFi Corner", near the old Virgin shop but it didn't last long.

Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote: Was there another place in the Irish Life Mall?
It was a TV shop as much as anything, family name like Connolly's or Conroy's or something. I remember seeing the posters for it when I worked in that building a few years back.