Should we continue with Listening Projects through 2013?

Should we continue with Listening Project in 2013?

Yes, I would like members to carry on with monthly projects in 2013.
89%
I don't really care as it doesn't interest me.
No votes
No, it has run its course and should end in January 2013.
11%

Total votes: 9

fergus

Re: Should we continue with Listening Projects through 2013?

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:
It seems like a long time ago since I led the DQ thread. This year I have completed two essays on mentall illness, applied for a doctoral programme and begun a dissertation. Despite that, the DQ thread was the hardest thing for me to write this year. I don't naturally have a knack for writing about music, and I picked a piece that had a strong narrative base from which I could work. Writing about the music was a nightmare!

I have to say that impression certainly did not come across to me Darren. I think that you did a very fine presentation which came across in an easy style and was full of very relevant information that was very well presented. One would certainly not get the impression that you struggled with it which makes your efforts even more commendable!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
I'm very pleased actually that Darren has said what he has said, because the truth of the matter is that I have been feeling an enormous pressure building inside me, over being able to do justice to a 2nd project... it's not a time issue, it's simply a lack of capability, so for that reason I think it would be best if I dropped out.

I like posting what I'm listening to, what I've just bought and maybe hunting out the odd bargain or two for fellow forum members, but I've come to the realisation that is sadly as far as my talents go.

Sorry, but I hope you all understand.

That is regrettable Jared because I also found your presentation very fine indeed; in fact it was the most effective from my point of view due to the fact that it helped to convinced me of something that I did not think I could be convinced of! I also find your style easy and down to earth and I like the way that you can now make comparisons of other works and composers in the way that you do. However, if you are not comfortable doing it then so be it....there should be no pressure or compunction here.
james

Post by james »

Did we ever reach a decision about continuing ?
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Seán

Post by Seán »

james wrote:Did we ever reach a decision about continuing ?
Hi James, it looks as if they will stop. We do not have any more volunteers for 2013, I would have been prepared to take the next available slot but nobody else is interested in keeping it going in its current format.

There is nothing to stop a member starting a thread on a particular piece of music, Fergus did that last year on Nielsen's Sixth and did a very fine job on it too.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

I'm happy to do one.... if you'll have me....

Now I can't write like Simon, or understand the intricacies of performance like Fergus, Sean, Pepe, Ciaran et al...!!!

But I knows what I likes....

Perhaps some of the "Named" Beethoven Piano Sonatas...

Either way, i think with only 8 votes it may work best sporadically ( maybe a Seasons based calendar- get all Pagan and stick one to the Romans!!{what have they ever done for us...!!!??}) rather than every month?

It'd be a while before I can truly dedicate the time, but sure if itv whimpers to a slow death I may do it independently later in the year!!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I think we should do it as the fancy takes us. Maybe we'd like to share if we're doing an exploration of something ourselves, or if we're listening to a variety of performances of a particular work or whatever. If we take the formality out of it it might take the pressure off.

JB, I'm sure we'd love to hear your thoughts. Please go for it whenever the muses inspire you.

Meanwhile, I'm doing a lot of research on Bach organ recordings at the moment, prompted by the recent realisation that despite considering them some of the greatest pieces ever, I never listen to the recordings I have. I might start a thread to share my findings, and hopefully explain what I'm looking for in more detail. Dunno if many will want to read it, but no matter!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

jaybee wrote:I'm happy to do one.... if you'll have me....

Now I can't write like Simon, or understand the intricacies of performance like Fergus, Sean, Pepe, Ciaran et al...!!!

Either way, i think with only 8 votes it may work best sporadically ( maybe a Seasons based calendar- get all Pagan and stick one to the Romans!!{what have they ever done for us...!!!??}) rather than every month?

It'd be a while before I can truly dedicate the time, but sure if itv whimpers to a slow death I may do it independently later in the year!!
As the mood takes you, no pressure JB.
Last edited by Seán on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:I think we should do it as the fancy takes us. Maybe we'd like to share if we're doing an exploration of something ourselves, or if we're listening to a variety of performances of a particular work or whatever. If we take the formality out of it it might take the pressure off.

JB, I'm sure we'd love to hear your thoughts. Please go for it whenever the muses inspire you.

Meanwhile, I'm doing a lot of research on Bach organ recordings at the moment, prompted by the recent realisation that despite considering them some of the greatest pieces ever, I never listen to the recordings I have. I might start a thread to share my findings, and hopefully explain what I'm looking for in more detail. Dunno if many will want to read it, but no matter!
I will.
fergus

Post by fergus »

jaybee wrote:I'm happy to do one.... if you'll have me....

Go for it Johnny....in whatever guise you chose. I think that you will find the process rewarding in itself as it is an interesting exercise to go through. I look forward to eventually reading your offerings and good look with the project.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote: Meanwhile, I'm doing a lot of research on Bach organ recordings at the moment, prompted by the recent realisation that despite considering them some of the greatest pieces ever, I never listen to the recordings I have. I might start a thread to share my findings, and hopefully explain what I'm looking for in more detail. Dunno if many will want to read it, but no matter!

I would certainly be interested in that one Simon particularly as it will be written from a musician's point of view....the inside track so to speak. That, coupled with your quirky sense of humour should make for an interesting and educational read. Go for it Sir!