Sunday Afternoon Sessions at Cloney's.

Diapason

Re: Sunday Afternoon Sessions at Cloney's.

Post by Diapason »

I popped into Cloney's at lunch today to drop back a cable, and as luck would have it, the system from Sunday was still set up in the main room. I didn't have a huge amount of time (it being my lunch break) but the new Kharma speakers sounded great, and quite different to the 3.2s. They have a much larger sense of scale, much more bass extension, and can pack a serious wallop. They image brilliantly, but in a lifelike way, and the tonal balance is on the darker side, not warm as such, but smooth and full.

The more I listened, the more I felt that they were lacking a little sparkle, so Ivan suggested that maybe we should move away from the Meridian player (which I know to be quite warm) and play some vinyl instead. Well, you know my feelings on vinyl aren't always positive (!) but I thought it would be no harm to give it a little spin. Simply put, it sounded FANTASTIC. The whole system came to life and started to sing, everything sounded incredibly lifelike and open, but it coupled that with real balls and impact. I was very impressed with everything at that stage, the entire system sounded fab.

It transpired that the TT was a modified LP12 (as alluded to by Fergus upthread) and Darius, the man who does the modifications, was actually in the shop. We spoke for a while, and my God there's an enthusiastic dude who knows his onions. Now I'm still NOT buying a TT, but in many ways it might have been better if I never heard that. If you have a chance, I'd strongly recommend popping in to hear it at some stage. He told me the price and I honestly had a number a LOT more in mind based purely on sonics.

I took a few photos with my crap phone camera, so here they are:

The whole system:

The new Kharmas, similar in looks to the 3.2s but classier in some ways. Stylish.

The system, a modified LP12, Kharma matrix monos and pre, phono stage and TT power supply down the bottom:

As always, I enjoy a photo of the rear. The Kharma cables had seriously audiophile cred and looked like something used to winch aircraft carriers:

I may have missed Sunday, but I really enjoyed my short private session today. Just as well I don't have any vinyl, or else I'd be dipping into my wallet...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Thanks for that Si, it all looks feckin' lovely. The tt in particular. ;)
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Thanks for that Simon! God ,I haven't been in that room a while now....brings back memories of yearnings for sota equipment. Especially Linn Sondeks ;) Mine was unceremoniously dumped in the attic only last week after my music room got a fresh lick of paint! No way was I having the two supports side by side as before ie the Mana/Linn/Pink Link etc etc Actually the system now looks a lot neater and more streamlined! At least now I can open the window by hand lol
Modest

Post by Modest »

Killer pics Simon ,thanks.
Lp12 looks like woodsong plinth? and tik tok (ittok LVII) quite heavy arm . Ekos 2,Naim Aro sounds double than Ittok with more music in the air and detail ,also Linn have top Ekos SE arm - one thing (better do'nt listen to it :)

I love the look of this Woodsong plinth
2012 R2 server/JK 32DAC/Audio Innovations L2 preamp/Audio Innovations 800MK3 power/Impulse H2 horn speakers /Linn LP12 ,ittok lvii/Linn Linto/Linn Lingo2 /Avid,Inakustik,Acrotec cables
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Great writeup Simon and great pics too. I quite often get the experience you had with vinyl when switching over from a CD source during a listening session. Vinyl may have its flaws at times but when its done right its near unbeatable for sheer involvment and musicality.
That TT looks the business, I'll have to investigage it some more. Was the phonostage Kharma also?
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

No, phonostage was something 'very basic' that I can't remember. It was made very clear that it was fairly entry level, nothing flash.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

I'm just flabbergasted that you managed to return something to Noel....

every time he's loaned me something it never again set foot in blackrock....!!!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

3 grand interconnect? Easy enough to return these days...
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

fairy nuff

how were the diminishing returns on it...???
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Never AB'ed it, but I didn't notice any difference in sound for the few weeks I had it in.