MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sbgk

Re: MQN

Post by sbgk »

Tony,

have uploaded an optimised hirez v2 version of mqncontrol and mqnplay, the mqnplay is specific to win8.1/r2 and requires sse4

Have just noticed it only plays 1 track and then static, so shall fix that, but sounds nice.

can use the v1 control to play more than 1 track, doesn't affect the sq
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Aleg wrote:
sbgk wrote:
Aleg wrote:
Or it just comes down to personal preferences. I have heared other high end systems too, that were very, very good in what they did, but it didn't rock my boat.

I would preferably see a player that's not tweaked to a certain type sound character or tonality, but tries to keep in neutral waters.

The most neutral IMHO is just to present the music with the most details, the most transparency and clarity and let the tonal character of the owners hifi gear determine how it will sound in the end.

Cheers

Aleg
the sound I get with realtime is also the sound that some of the less optimal settings produce so I guess that's why I equate it with being a poorer quality sound. At least you have a way of getting the sound you like.
And that's why I say you should try to keep it neutral, because different people have different opinions on what is optimal and better quality. One man's trash is another man's treasure and vice versa, so to speak.

That's why I was asking a few pages back if there could be found an objective reference point, so one could keep a developer's personal preferences out of the picture. Unfortunately nobody took it up for discussion.

Cheers

Aleg
As far as I'm concerned it is neutral, one of the main drivers behind mqn was to remove the digital sound.

If you have mqn running on it's own core and you put it on realtime priority you are just competing for resource with interrupts and other system level tasks, that accounts for the digital sound, just my opinion.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

tony wrote:
Aleg wrote:
tony wrote: If it works for me the guru's will have no problem. ....

Tony
Don't forget that the latest 2.73 versions only worked for a few people that were all using (I believe) the Amanero based DAC. So those versions were no longer generally usable.

So I hope Gordon can find the way back to what is working for everybody.

Cheers

Aleg
Missed that! Hopefully Gordon can apply that easily to some of the 2.71's and 2.66's.

The tasker.exe just opens and closes on me? Is that correct or what part of the abc have I missed?

Don't know of course exactly what you've done, but in my adapted mqn.bat there is a pause command right after the 3 tasker commands. That will keep that window open and it should remain open, so don't click any key while in that window even though you are prompted to do so.

I posted a few screenshots how things should look during playback in this post here viewtopic.php?p=52230#p52230

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Have uploaded mqnplay v3 for sse4 win8.1/r2 for use with mqncontrol v1

It's a bit of a revelation, found a few instructions in the assembly code that could be removed and seems to have made a difference. Am confident in saying it's the best version so far, definitely a wow, for me at least. Initial impression is very detailed and very smooth, not digital at all.
tony

Post by tony »

Think there a quiet a few missing posts! I couldn't log on earlier and some replies I was going to post to have disappeared.
Will try the latest Version V3. V2 is gone? I think Gordon said there was something wrong with it.

Is there a lot of effort involved Gordon in say doing 2.71 intel raw background or 2.66 sse4 intel v2?(remember that one as very smooth)
Haven't a clue whether you have spent months at this or a couple of hours? Simplistically I would be thinking it is a case of cutting and pasting the results you have got with the current 24bit ones but is that incorrect or way off?

Great to see some new development on MQn.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:Have uploaded mqnplay v3 for sse4 win8.1/r2 for use with mqncontrol v1

It's a bit of a revelation, found a few instructions in the assembly code that could be removed and seems to have made a difference. Am confident in saying it's the best version so far, definitely a wow, for me at least. Initial impression is very detailed and very smooth, not digital at all.
Gordon

Mqnplay v3 doesn't play at all in the same manner that the previous 2 versions also didn't work.
This all on Windows 2012 R2 with a non-amanero Diverter HR2 with Thesycon drivers.

Version 2.71 still functions on the same setup.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

V3 can't play hirez, but it does 16/44 on my setup, and it does it really good.
I am listening as I'm writing and first impression is pretty high, but I don't want to run too fast.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

tony wrote:Think there a quiet a few missing posts! I couldn't log on earlier and some replies I was going to post to have disappeared.
Will try the latest Version V3. V2 is gone? I think Gordon said there was something wrong with it.

Is there a lot of effort involved Gordon in say doing 2.71 intel raw background or 2.66 sse4 intel v2?(remember that one as very smooth)
Haven't a clue whether you have spent months at this or a couple of hours? Simplistically I would be thinking it is a case of cutting and pasting the results you have got with the current 24bit ones but is that incorrect or way off?

Great to see some new development on MQn.
this push was mainly to get you up and running for your show, the fact the sound has improved is a bonus.

Not sure I have copies of 2.71/2.66 so would be a bit of effort recreating them. Are you ok with v3 ?
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Aleg wrote:
sbgk wrote:Have uploaded mqnplay v3 for sse4 win8.1/r2 for use with mqncontrol v1

Gordon

Mqnplay v3 doesn't play at all in the same manner that the previous 2 versions also didn't work.
This all on Windows 2012 R2 with a non-amanero Diverter HR2 with Thesycon drivers.

Version 2.71 still functions on the same setup.

Cheers

Aleg
not even 16/44 ? Am not going to have any time to work out the issues for a while, so shall pick it up then.

cheers
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

cvrle59 wrote:V3 can't play hirez, but it does 16/44 on my setup, and it does it really good.
I am listening as I'm writing and first impression is pretty high, but I don't want to run too fast.
can't understand your 12 minute play of hirez, what is changing to upset it ?