What are you listening to?

Ciaran

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Ciaran »

DaveF wrote:
Ciaran wrote:Finally a favourite CD:
Songs by Grieg, Anne-Sofie von Otter with Bengt Forsberg: one of the first CDs I ever bought and I keep listening to it, especially the Haugtussa cycle which starts the disc.
I think you played that for us during one of the classical meetups in your place a few years ago. I found it challenging at the time but made a note of it. My classical palette has advanced a bit since then so I might take the plunge and get this recording.
Worth the price for Haugtussa alone!
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Seán wrote:
Songs by Grieg, Anne-Sofie von Otter with Bengt Forsberg: one of the first CDs I ever bought and I keep listening to it, especially the Haugtussa cycle which starts the disc.
I have the two of them performing songs by Sibelius and they are very enjoyable, Ciaran, I think that I might have played a snippet for you when you paid me a visit?
I don't remember, but I also have a CD of them in Sibelius and one of various Swedish composers. But it's the Grieg that keeps jumping in the player!
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ciaran wrote:
Seán wrote:
I have the two of them performing songs by Sibelius and they are very enjoyable, Ciaran, I think that I might have played a snippet for you when you paid me a visit?
I don't remember, but I also have a CD of them in Sibelius and one of various Swedish composers. But it's the Grieg that keeps jumping in the player!
It was Svarta rosor (Black Roses), no? ah well!
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Yes, I think you're right!
fergus

Post by fergus »

On vinyl; Gregorian Chant....

Side 1 contains 10 chants for the Proper of the Mass while Side 2 contains a complete Mass for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception.
There is beautiful singing on this recording with a lovely warm and relaxed atmosphere.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

This recording disappointed me when I first got it so I parked it on the shelf and havent gone back to it until this weekend. I havent changed my opinion either. The harpsichord just sounds too weak in the background and at times the small orchestra still overpowers it. Nowhere near as good as the Hogwood/AAM version.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Symphony No.6

With the recent talk of Beethoven's symphonies, I dug out this set as I havent listened to it in long time. Nice brisk tempi here from Abbado.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
cybot

Post by cybot »

DaveF wrote:Image

This recording disappointed me when I first got it so I parked it on the shelf and havent gone back to it until this weekend. I havent changed my opinion either. The harpsichord just sounds too weak in the background and at times the small orchestra still overpowers it. Nowhere near as good as the Hogwood/AAM version.
Love the cover painting :) But Harmonia Mundi did care of their sleeves, didn't they? I'm sure I have one HM album of Lute music....
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

cybot wrote:Love the cover painting :) But Harmonia Mundi did care of their sleeves, didn't they? I'm sure I have one HM album of Lute music....
Harmonia Mundi are a great label alright. The put a decent effort in the packaging, artwork and the sonics are always great too. Still though, as CD packaging goes nothing beats AllaVox. A lot of Jordi Savall recordings are on this label.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:Image

That is disappointing Dave....one would have said that those forces on that label would be a safe bet to produce something really good.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra