What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Vivaldi Concertos played by Angel Romero....

I always enjoy this disc; the music is played with fluidity and flair....just as Vivaldi should be played!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Didn't know that disc even existed, Dave, will have to look it up. I'll be turning pages and pulling stops for a friend at a recital in Luxemburg soon, and she's playing some Saint-Saens. I don't know much of his organ music, even though he's squarely in the period that I love.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

On vinyl: Schubert – Octet in F, D803....

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:On vinyl:
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
cybot

Post by cybot »

DaveF wrote:
That is friggin' brilliant :-)))) The falling cigarette is hilarious....
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
That certainly tops any response that I was expecting Dave!!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Schumann – Symphonies 2 & 3 Goodman....

No. 2 was wonderful with a really agitated Scherzo and a beautiful, expressive slow movement.
No. 3 was much different than any other version I have heard and I will need to assess it with a few more listening sessions.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Out of sheer perversity:
Bruckner 4, KlangVerwaltung Orchestra conducted by Enoch zu Guttenberg (father of CSU politician Karl-Theodor Freiherr von und zu Guttenberg, currently in trouble for cogging his PhD thesis). Beautifully recoreded, but I found no reason to change my previously expressed opinion!

What a relief to turn to

Cantata 127 Herr Jesu Christ, wahr' Mensch und Gott for Estomihi Sunday in Vol. 34 of Suzuki's Bach Cantata series. Wonderful: stunning soprano (Carolyn Sampson) aria, "Die Seele ruht in Jesu Händen".

Finally a favourite CD:
Songs by Grieg, Anne-Sofie von Otter with Bengt Forsberg: one of the first CDs I ever bought and I keep listening to it, especially the Haugtussa cycle which starts the disc.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Ciaran wrote:Finally a favourite CD:
Songs by Grieg, Anne-Sofie von Otter with Bengt Forsberg: one of the first CDs I ever bought and I keep listening to it, especially the Haugtussa cycle which starts the disc.
I think you played that for us during one of the classical meetups in your place a few years ago. I found it challenging at the time but made a note of it. My classical palette has advanced a bit since then so I might take the plunge and get this recording.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ciaran wrote:Finally a favourite CD:
I have the two of them performing songs by Sibelius and they are very enjoyable, Ciaran, I think that I might have played a snippet for you when you paid me a visit?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler