What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Bruckner – Mass No. 3 [Jochum]....

Mass No. 3 is more dramatic and forcefully presented than the other two; operatic, almost. It is a BIG statement.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

I just thought that I might stick my nose in and mention the following:

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No. 3

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Marilyn Horne (Mezzo Soprano)
James Levine - conducting.

This is a wonderful, wonderful performance of Mahler's Third symphony, and on its own is worth the price of this box set, strongly recommended
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Wonderful sounds and textures from the orchestra here which does it set apart from the big band approaches. The period brass and timpani in particular make for an interesting sound but the tempi are a little slower than what I would have expected. It certainly isnt a show off performance, in fact I'd say its a little restrained but does have the ace of having period intruments. That said, I would have prefered a bit more drama and excitment in the final two movements. You can feel it building alright but it just never quite gets there. Not a first choice recommendation for this symphony but definitely worth considering if you've got a big band version and are looking for something different. The Davis/Concertgebouw version is still my favourite. Bernstein's is on my wish list.

Image Image[/quote]

My first ever purchase of a string quartet some years ago was in fact a Haydn piece by the Quatuor Mosaïques on period instruments. A few more purchases of the same since then and they still remain my favorite ensemble for these works. I'm surprised that they dont get more recognition. The Opus 77 in the second disc above is probably one of my favorite Haydn String Quartets.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

DaveF wrote:Image

Quite a powerful performance here from Gergiev and the LSO. Recommended.

I really ought to add more Rachmaninov to my collection. I have various recordings of the Piano Concertos and Svetlanov's Symphonic Dances but nothing else I think. Svetlanov's cycle whom Sean has already recommended to me looks like a good bet. Any thoughts anyone?
Excellent sound on that SACD. As for more Rachmaninov: totally different from his orchestral work, but devastatingly beautiful is his All-Night Vigil, usually known as the Vespers in English (it actually contains Orthodox Vespers and Matins).

There's an excellent version super-cheap on Regis

(Ukraine 'Dumka' Choir conducted by Yevhen Savchuk). I also like the versio with the st Petersburg Capella conducted by Vladislav Chernushenko, but it seems to be out of print at the moment.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Thanks Ciaran. The 'Vespers' is something I had in mind alright.

There was a good program on Rachmaninov on Friday night on BBC Four. It was narrated by Gergiev. There might be repeats.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:Wonderful sounds and textures from the orchestra here which does it set apart from the big band approaches. The period brass and timpani in particular make for an interesting sound but the tempi are a little slower than what I would have expected. It certainly isnt a show off performance, in fact I'd say its a little restrained but does have the ace of having period intruments. That said, I would have prefered a bit more drama and excitment in the final two movements. You can feel it building alright but it just never quite gets there. Not a first choice recommendation for this symphony but definitely worth considering if you've got a big band version and are looking for something different. The Davis/Concertgebouw version is still my favourite. Bernstein's is on my wish list.
Good analysis....thanks for that Dave.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote: My first ever purchase of a string quartet some years ago was in fact a Haydn piece by the Quatuor Mosaïques on period instruments. A few more purchases of the same since then and they still remain my favorite ensemble for these works. I'm surprised that they dont get more recognition. The Opus 77 in the second disc above is probably one of my favorite Haydn String Quartets.
I think that once they are sampled these recordings all yield rich rewards. I think that some people are needlessly put off by that "period performance" tag....they subsequently miss out on great performances as a result, I think.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Mozart – Clarinet Quintet/Oboe Quartet played by the Chilingirian String Quartet....

fergus

Post by fergus »

Mahler – Symphony No. 2 [Bernstein]....

In a word, superb!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:Mahler – Symphony No. 2 [Bernstein]....
In a word, superb!
Glad you enjoyed it Fergus. That finale is something else.

You're in for a real treat with the 3rd Symphony.