It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 22

Derek

Re: It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Post by Derek »

Sligolad wrote: Keep doing what you are doing Nige even if it is just intuition some of the time as the results will speak for themselves, if the well is getting dry in terms of funding due to hits along the way on components and we need to increase projected costs for the optimized TVC then lets do it, no need for a cost benefit analysis here.

Very happy to add more funding as is will be one of the best investments in audio in many years.
As above, X2, no need to sleep. If a few bob extra is required, no problem, the emergency piggy bank will be rifled.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

I agree - you're doing a great job, Nige - the couple of times I heard it, the amp was a revelation - can't wait to hear the new revision
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Same as the lads - I can't contribute much to this other than excitement and happy to commit funds as needed! You certainly shouldn't be out of pocket.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

pass no attention, must have been a little crabby this morning
late nights and early mornings having its consequences

on a good note
on the psu board the insulated reg and diode test results look promising (2amp)
the voltage drop on the diode is more like 0.7 and the prototype ones were 0.3ish but thats ok theres plenty of headroom the diode gets a little warm without heatsink but thats ok too

the amp with tvc is sounding great,
its going to be difficult to volume match vs other amps coz of the increased dynamics and it seems like the quieter bits are quieter and louder bits are louder like a bigger volume range

is 11 positions of volume control enough?

makes me wonder if everyone should have tvc on output rather than a preamp
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
abraxalito

Post by abraxalito »

nige2000 wrote: isnt the issue that it shits on its own doorstep? and does not have the noise rejection capability? and the step down makes it shit less?
Yep that's one way of putting it - 'shitting' is directly related to how much output current, the step down reduces that.
is there any way of estimating where inductance and esr becomes a problem?
I do it subjectively, put my ear to the tweeter and see if it sounds like I can hear sounds coming from its surface. If so then the supply's not clean enough at HF.
abraxalito

Post by abraxalito »

nige2000 wrote:
Richard says using the 60v input on trafo for 30v ain't optimal so will have to revise the trafo anyhow
It ain't optimal but if you wanted to experiment with a bigger step-down then its worth trying. After all with a 30VA toroid you probably don't have too high DCR.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

i discovered after taking out the trim pot that output was 64v not 30v as it were before
the lesser voltage must have been down to the voltage divider+trim

in which case should the trafo primary be more than 60v?

dcr was 7.2ohm on 60v pri

hard to know what the optimal input voltage and what lm3875 gain should be
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Fran wrote:Same as the lads - I can't contribute much to this other than excitement and happy to commit funds as needed! You certainly shouldn't be out of pocket.

Fran
Same here we be all on the same hymn sheet.Looks like a great result is very close. It sounded great way back at Gerry/Fran's Eist day so we all know we are getting something special at the end of the journey.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Had an enquiry about joining the Group buy, is there anyone else interested before i start sourcing parts
sima66

Post by sima66 »

I'm still very tempted and just to make sure that I understand correctly:

Is this amp like integrated with 11 points of volume control?
Is it possible to make it mono and use two, with double binding posts? Would two mono's be better, or not?
Amp would be able to power two sets of 57's connected in PARALLEL?
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS