AUDIO PC: Direct power to motherboad 24 and 4pin (picoless)

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
tony

Re: AUDIO PC: Direct power to motherboad 24 and 4pin (picole

Post by tony »

Sligolad wrote:Here's a post that has caused me to re-evaluate the Mobo options again for an audio PC....
Cheers, Pearse.
Be very careful Adam you do not want to suffer mobo burn out syndrome. Look what has happened to poor old Pearse:)

Nearly afraid to ask what issues are you having Adam?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Because of Pearse they introduce the second shift on mobo production line! :)
Tony, do you really think that I would solder/unsolder those little clocks?! I cant even see them!!!
I can build a box, or stand, but the tiny soldering is out of my reach!
Of course master Nigel is the one, but we just waited to see if your mobo burn first so we can learn from that mistake! :))
Looks like the "waiting period" just got extended! :))
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
tony

Post by tony »

Feck I would have charged him for the work if I had known I was volunteering
for a dangerous drug trial. I am taking all the risk for probably no reward accept some
wacky baccy smoke at some point.

All is well here unlike Laurence Oliver in the Marathon Man you do not have to treat me like Dustin Hoffman. It is safe. Go ahead as Ben Stiller would stay Do it Do it Do it

I reckon Pearse is holding on to those Mobo's in case they decide to regenerate.
Shouldn't pass comment as any mere touch of my pc will probably put me in the same graveyard
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:Because of Pearse they introduce the second shift on mobo production line! :)
Tony, do you really think that I would solder/unsolder those little clocks?! I cant even see them!!!
I can build a box, or stand, but the tiny soldering is out of my reach!
Of course master Nigel is the one, but we just waited to see if your mobo burn first so we can learn from that mistake! :))
Looks like the "waiting period" just got extended! :))
well it a bit different leaving a mobo im not 100% happy with in dublin
than sending another one i'm not happy with to Canada

i know theres good sound without clock replacements, its certainly not compulsory
but when doing a-b testing vs identical mobo's with no clocks the difference in sq is very clear
though a more stable build might be more suited for travel and sanity

almost a year since first clock replacement
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1494&hilit=clock&start=1950
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:
well it a bit different leaving a mobo im not 100% happy with in dublin
than sending another one i'm not happy with to Canada
I perfectly agree! Leave the "unhappy one" to Tony! :))

As for the "happy one", whenever and whatever happen happen. Those are uncharted waters and and shit and risks are to be expected!
I can only say thanks for trying!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
tony

Post by tony »

sima66 wrote: I perfectly agree! Leave the "unhappy one" to Tony! :))
:)) All smiles here. Left power supply on and the 5v supply is now showing 4.92v in hardware. When dodgy it was down to 4.32v
Curious to see if left plugged in like Nigels will it move closer to 5v. It was 4.88v yesterday at close of business.

Booting up is stable but ramdisk required some intervention. It would boot up but even though F11 options would allow boot from sandisk it would go straight to the SSD 2012 install. I rebooted after moving HDD usb and Sandisk. BTW fuzzy graphics on display when HDD USB touches back of usb port area. That requires power off/on but then boots up happily in ramdisk.

None of this is unhappy it is just the oddities of ramdisk with 2 clocks and probably slightly dodgy power installation.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sounds like the batteries are draining when power supply is off
takes a long time to charge to say 4.5v to 5v with float charging lps
eventually needs a rewire with complete isolation of the batteries

i leave mine on mostly because i couldnt be bothered turning all off and back on again
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Agreed rewire needed when shifted to the big7 case. relays if I can figure out how they are wired. Don't forget battery drain was because I forgot to throw the grd isolation switch on streacom. Once i power off correctly doesn't seem to be any draining of significance but agree there seems to be still some connection somewhere the current arrangement I would not be putting money on it being fully correct.

Anyway ramdisk with speakers at the new height I think is best sound I have managed yet. Coupled with batteries for me any improvement can only be marginal. Next option is to get more batteries when they are back in stock in germany cheapo store
tony

Post by tony »

All still ticking over here. I know Adam is chomping at the bit and probably biting his nails. Only update is 5v rail is now at 4.96v so leaving the power supply on is slowly increasing this voltage. This seems to be the one that is either draining without power supply or maybe is the most critical in relation to getting the pc to power up reliably.

It is powering on fine and sounds great to my waxy ears.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote: Anyway ramdisk with speakers at the new height I think is best sound I have managed yet.
not convinced the clocks are giving good sq?

they might be a pita now and again
so worth it or not?

btw raising speakers made a good difference too, was a easily noticeable change