Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:
jkeny wrote:This fanless case is currently available for the Intel NUC for £99 + £20 delivery from here http://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk/nuc-ye- ... d33217gke/
Nice looking case too.
John How much are you expecting all the bits for the nuc to mount up to? It would seem to be moving towards the €6-700 mark.
Could you list all the bits required or all the extra bits you think will make it work best?

Still hung up on the zuma for the moment. I notice elara have the intel parts well the chip is due in shortly. It is priced at €293. Motherboard is €98. Regardless of where the bits are coming from in europe it still seems to come out at €1200ish for the parts.That is without sotm usb card.
You seem set on getting the exact items on the Zuma build which is fine but it will cost extra and if your looking for a specific motherboard and you can buy it reasonable money order it, it can get very difficult to find these rare boards.
Most of these good mboards are made by Foxconn for other manufacturers and once they have the right CPU chipset z77 h77 third generation ivy bridge chipset I can't see them been any different to your intel board.
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
tony wrote: John How much are you expecting all the bits for the nuc to mount up to? It would seem to be moving towards the €6-700 mark.
Could you list all the bits required or all the extra bits you think will make it work best?
Sure,
€400 delivered for the following
Intel Nuc
Intel 60GB SSD
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 WiFi card

Memory I haven't priced yet but I'm using this as an AudioPC so no more than 8GB needed, I think. Nige, max RAM is 16GB

Optional fanless case £120 delivered - in time there might be cheaper fanless cases if/when th eform factor becomes popular.

So yea, it might come out at about €600? Not including screen & keyboard/mouse as Zuma is also not including these.

Sorry, Nige wrong link - should be this one http://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk/nuc-ye- ... d33217gke/
I was wondering I didn't think u would miss that

You still have to price the 16gb ram into that
Should be less than 100 euro
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: I was wondering I didn't think u would miss that

I already allocated about €100 into that price of €600 for 8GB of RAM (don't need more than this in AudioPC, do we?)- maybe it will be more than this, so Tony's 600 - 700 is about right. But I have memory here already (& those using Jplay probably can split what they have in 1 PC between AudioPc & controlPC?) so no need ....
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote: I was wondering I didn't think u would miss that

I already allocated about €100 into that price of €600 for 8GB of RAM (don't need more than this in AudioPC, do we?)- maybe it will be more than this, so Tony's 600 - 700 is about right. But I have memory here already (& those using Jplay probably can split what they have in 1 PC between AudioPc & controlPC?) so no need ....
sound
should work fine then 8gb ram is plenty 50 euro or so
143 euro for the tranquil pc case although its still optional would bring the cost to 743 euro

if you drop to 8gb ram and 60 gb ssd drive you'd save 70 and drop the win8 at 80 brings it to 679 euro approx incuding the sotm sata filter and having a more upgradable pc but similar performance

ill be very interested to hear how the nuc compares to the zuma, if the cpu fan has little effect it should be close if not better
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: sound
should work fine then 8gb ram is plenty 50 euro or so
143 euro for the tranquil pc case although its still optional would bring the cost to 743 euro
No, have a look back at the figures - €400 for base config (includes 60GB SSD - only missing memory). Let's say €100 for 8GB RAM. About €150 for fanless case - that's €650
if you drop to 8gb ram and 60 gb ssd drive you'd save 70 and drop the win8 at 80 brings it to 679 euro approx incuding the sotm sata filter and having a more upgradable pc but similar performance

ill be very interested to hear how the nuc compares to the zuma, if the cpu fan has little effect it should be close if not better
I'm only pricing for 8GB RAM, need some SSD disk, no? I haven't priced in WIn 8 - that's about €200-300 isn't it? I won't be looking at a SOTM filter.
But also remember that his CPU is soldered on the MB so no upgradability option there!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Post by tony »

nige2000 wrote:You seem set on getting the exact items on the Zuma build which is fine but it will cost extra and if your looking for a specific motherboard and you can buy it reasonable money order it, it can get very difficult to find these rare boards.Most of these good mboards are made by Foxconn for other manufacturers and once they have the right CPU chipset z77 h77 third generation ivy bridge chipset I can't see them been any different to your intel board.
Nige the mobo seems to be available at circa €100 everywhere.Not sure are you saying buy this now as it might become scarce? Trying not to besotted by the zuma but the sq was stunning and I would be nervous about following another receipe without hearing it first. Simply because I am fearful of ending up with something that doesnt quiet deliver and needing to go again(false economy and all that). I very much hope that this view is bonkers. Obviously at this moment in time the chip and the case are the showstoppers as they swallow €600. That pricing level may change but at this moment in time any i7 chip is just too expensive.

You guys are more technically competent than me I am just approaching it subjectively. Leaving out the case and chip all the other components I think are bringing something to the party(Happy to leave out the sotm usb) So I think they will all be required no matter what build of pc. Based on that the max that can be shaved off is €3-400 (sizeable amount). So I see the risk cost as €400. Of course if Johns nuc knocks the socks off the zuma next week or whenever great that is €600 difference.

John are you not going for the noise filter? Is it because it will not fit or you just dont think it is necessary.

Are you guys saying the zuma cant be upgraded as the mobo is welded to the case?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Tony,
Don;t think the SOTM filter is needed
No the CPU chip is soldered on the motherboard of the NUC - so no user uprading but I see Gigabyte announced putting i7 core CPUs on the NUC board
www.Ciunas.biz
tony

Post by tony »

jkeny wrote:Tony,
Don;t think the SOTM filter is needed
No the CPU chip is soldered on the motherboard of the NUC - so no user uprading but I see Gigabyte announced putting i7 core CPUs on the NUC board
Actually saw that as well. Had a quick search but it is not going to be another €30-40 for the i17 unfortunately. Get that sure why not go the whole way and get a proper case! No the big deal with your option is if you are getting close/similar to the zuma with the i3/nuc. Not being able to upgrade to my mind would become irrelevant for quiet a while. Kinda feel the leaps now are very big but it has too slow down at some point.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

At some stage I'll run this thread through Google Translate.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Ivor wrote:At some stage I'll run this thread through Google Translate.
:) it's like an IT convention around here
www.Ciunas.biz