What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Cardoso – Missa pro defunctis....

What a wonderful wall of sound that hits one as one listens to this music.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:Interesting comments Dave if somewhat disappointing. I have not bought it yet but I will do so at some stage.
I'll give it another listen later in the week Fergus. Perhaps I just wasnt in the mood for Gardiner at the time. It wouldnt be the first time where I've initially dismissed a new CD only to gain a new appreciation for it later on. Gardiner's Brahms 2 was one of such discs!

Btw, the 'filler' material on this Brahms 4 is nearly worth the purchase price alone.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

OK Dave....let me know how you get on with it.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

some wonderful sacred choral music from Brahms.

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

A 'One Voice Per Part' version of some of Bach's well known Cantata's. I dont listen to Bach's Cantata's that often and only have handful of Gardiner's and one of the Suzuki's boxsets anyway. The above sounds quite different to these.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote: A 'One Voice Per Part' version of some of Bach's well known Cantata's. I dont listen to Bach's Cantata's that often and only have handful of Gardiner's and one of the Suzuki's boxsets anyway. The above sounds quite different to these.
I do not have too mant Rifkin recordings myself Dave but they certainly do have a leaner and meaner sound to them....but that is what makes them interesting in themselves.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Mozart – The Marriage of Figaro [Gui]....

What an absolutely wonderful work this is; the melodies just keep flowing and flowing!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:
DaveF wrote: A 'One Voice Per Part' version of some of Bach's well known Cantata's. I dont listen to Bach's Cantata's that often and only have handful of Gardiner's and one of the Suzuki's boxsets anyway. The above sounds quite different to these.
I do not have too mant Rifkin recordings myself Dave but they certainly do have a leaner and meaner sound to them....but that is what makes them interesting in themselves.
It was interesting alright but it probably wouldnt be my first choice for these works. As you said, the presentation is leaner and meaner and I also found the recording forward and bright in places. A lack of warmth. Scholarly is another word I'd use to describe it.
Anyway I bought this disc over a year ago and never listened to it. I did a sort and tidy up of my cd collection last night which had recently become all over the place on the shelves. I came across many cds that I had forgotten about.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Rounding off my weekend's listening....Beethoven – Piano Concerto No. 5 [Lill]....

A very good performance of the “Emperor” that is full of verve. The slow movement is wonderfully sensitive.