What are you listening to?

DaveF

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:
DaveF wrote:Image
How did you get on with that one Dave; I would be especially interested in what you thought of the Schumann.
I have very few piano concertos from anyone in my collection Fergus but this one gets a listen from time to time. The Schumann I enjoyed very much and had a nice balance between the piano and orchestra. I'm not really familiar enough with the Schumann piece to say much more.

The 'Emperor' concerto is of course a classic and is beautifully played here.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:
DaveF wrote:Image

An escential purchase for anyone who likes chamer music imho. Couperin composed these for the Louis XIV's Sunday chamber music concerts. Beautifully played by Savall & Co here.
That certainly looks very tempting Dave!!
Empty your Amazon basket Fergus. Add this recording, then click 'Buy'. You wont be disappointed. :-)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote: I have very few piano concertos from anyone in my collection Fergus but this one gets a listen from time to time. The Schumann I enjoyed very much and had a nice balance between the piano and orchestra. I'm not really familiar enough with the Schumann piece to say much more.
Much the same as myself Dave but thanks for that Dave....I will consider it as I have another disc with Cliburn playing and I liked it.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote: Empty your Amazon basket Fergus. Add this recording, then click 'Buy'. You wont be disappointed. :-)
That good, eh?!?!
fergus

Post by fergus »

As Spring is in the air: Schumann – Symphonies 1 & 2 [Kubelik]....

These are powerful performances and Kubelik is perhaps my favourite interpreter of Schumann’s symphonies.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Bruckner – Symphony No. 3 ....

The opening movement was strong and powerful and the slow movement was beautifully played. The textural mix between the strings and the brass was really wonderful. The Trio section of the Scherzo was a beautiful affair and the highlight of the final movement was the glorious conclusion. All of this made for a very fine listen session.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Beethoven – Piano Sonata No. 8 Op. 13 “Pathétique”....

I am making my way through the Kempff readings and I just had to comment on this particular performance; it is so fluid and has such a light touch....wonderful!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus

Post by fergus »

Mendelssohn – Symphony No. 3....

I was really impressed with this performance and I can’t wait to play it again....next time nice and loud!!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:Mendelssohn – Symphony No. 3....
I was really impressed with this performance and I can’t wait to play it again....next time nice and loud!!
You're certainly on a Mendelssohn roll there Fergus! An underrated composer do you think?