Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:Image
How did you get on with that recording Dave?
fergus

Post by fergus »

R Strauss – Aus Italien....

More wonderful music from Strauss!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:
DaveF wrote:Image
How did you get on with that recording Dave?
It's one I've had for a while now Fergus. Very good it is too. Very lively and spirited performance all round.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:R Strauss – Aus Italien....
I only have 2 recordings of the Alpine Symphony from Strauss, nothing else. Are there any particular must-have Strauss works/recordings?
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

sticking with some more String Quartets tonight and this wonderful set.

fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
fergus wrote:R Strauss – Aus Italien....
I only have 2 recordings of the Alpine Symphony from Strauss, nothing else. Are there any particular must-have Strauss works/recordings?
I would be a little unfair of me to answer that question Dave because I am very biased towards the music of R Strauss. Many people do not get him but I have always thought that he wrote wonderful music and I personally would genuinely put him on a par with Mahler. What I would say, however, is that I would recommend that you get your hands on this box set....

It really is very good as Kempe was a good interpreter of this music and there is lovely playing on it. It is a really good quality set that has the full orchestral works contained in it. Then, when you have listened to all of these works, you can pick and choose those that you like and explore them further.
Best of luck with that one and do let me know what you decide one way or the other.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:sticking with some more String Quartets tonight and this wonderful set.
Shostakovich's String Quartets should be in every collection along with the Beethoven Quartets. They are both obviously from different eras but are both equally important in the history of music IMHO.