Americana and suchlike

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Derek

Re: Americana and suchlike

Post by Derek »

Every time I play it, it gets better
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Derek wrote:Image

Every time I play it, it gets better
That's rapidly becoming one of my favourite albums. I've always been a fan but this is another level.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

Hi Guys
How would you describe this? I have been a big 10,000 maniacs (saw them years and years agoin in Belfast) and Natalie Merchant Fan but haven't listened in a while. Looking at this album it is described as children's poems set to music. Some people love it others not.

Just curious as to how it compares to other Natalie Merchant stuff, if at all.

Thanks
Jimmy
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

HiFiFan wrote:Hi Guys
How would you describe this? I have been a big 10,000 maniacs (saw them years and years agoin in Belfast) and Natalie Merchant Fan but haven't listened in a while. Looking at this album it is described as children's poems set to music. Some people love it others not.

Just curious as to how it compares to other Natalie Merchant stuff, if at all.

Thanks
Jimmy
It's her first album in 7 years so she's been 'off the radar'. It's quite different but still Nat. Musically it's stunning. One or two overly orchestral pieces for my taste but it veers smoothly between gospel, Irish trad (sort of), ol' timey and everything in between. At times I was reminded of CW Stoneking. Real musi played by real musicians. That'll do.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I may have to buy that, even if I risk being transported back to the Dawson's Creek days.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Derek

Post by Derek »

If she hadn’t done Motherland , TigerLilly, or The House Carpenters Daughter she wouldn’t have arrived at the point where this album could have been considered, never mind being this good.
But that’s not the whole of it, able to call on people such as; “The Fairfield Four”, “Wynton Marsalis”, “Medeski, Martin & Wood”, “Daniel Nimmer” and the list goes on, and on, a great album that remains a slow burner long after you think you’ve got it sussed!
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

word of warning.... there seems to be two versions of this out there. A slimmed own "selections from.... " and then the proper 26 track 2 CD quite thick booklet thingy. There's only a few euro in the difference so I'm not sure what the point of having two editions is.

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Spotted that on amazon alright and was a bit confused. Doesn't make much sense to me either, but don't worry, I'll go for the 2-disc. If there's a more expensive one with a DVD and a badge and a bumper sticker I'll probably end up buying that.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Lots of new songs to sing to young Penny too. Really.

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Ivor wrote:Lots of new songs to sing to young Penny too. Really.
She's more taste than to listen to me singing.