Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Seán

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Seán »

cybot wrote: Would you believe, now that I remember, I spotted a Bach box by Jarrett today in Dublin - it might have been The Well Tempered Clavier, I can't remember.It was stuck way up on the shelf and I got distracted and promptly forgot about it until you reminded me!?!? I'll have to go back up now :)
Was that in Tower Records by any chance?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

A big change from Debussy & Beethoven; on the TT, Samuels & Friedman's one and only album for ECM:

Dave Samuels - Vibraharp, Marimba
David Friedman - Marimba, Vibraharp
Harvie Swartz - Bass
Michael DiPasqua - Drums, Percussion

Here they are playing a duet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm94m6LW980
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
cybot

Post by cybot »

Seán wrote:
cybot wrote: Would you believe, now that I remember, I spotted a Bach box by Jarrett today in Dublin - it might have been The Well Tempered Clavier, I can't remember.It was stuck way up on the shelf and I got distracted and promptly forgot about it until you reminded me!?!? I'll have to go back up now :)
Was that in Tower Records by any chance?
This was on vinyl and definitely in a grey box. I spotted it in the George's St. Arcade, where Mac's Records used to be. I don't know the name of the new owner.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

cybot wrote:. I spotted it in the George's St. Arcade, where Mac's Records used to be. I don't know the name of the new owner.
Nicholas. A Young American. Knows the value of a dollar does Nick ;) I thought it was still trading as "Macs"? His vinyl is rarely worth sifting through... although that was a while back, it might have improved. Caveat emptor and all that.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Yes, while some of the stuff is interesting, its way overpriced and is usually in less than mint condition.

The CDs and DVDs are a bit better I think.
Do or do not, there is no try
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

As posted elsewhere this evening, Sarah Vaughan courtesy of Wolfgangs Vault:
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (96.8 KiB) Viewed 543 times
Do or do not, there is no try
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

some chilling out time....

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ah Mingus, Mingus, Mingus..........................I must listen to the Black Saint again soon...tomorrow perhaps.
Seán

Post by Seán »

and at 33 and a third it's:

One of Charles Mingus best efforts in my view and where he tries and succeeds in having his small ensemble sound like the Ellington band.
Here is the second track, where Jaki Byard (on piano) does a great Ellington impersonation, Jerome Richardson sounds like Harry Carney, Mingus employs his "Ellingtonesque" pep section (of two trumpets and trombone) to great effect, Butter growls his way through the entire piece and Charlie Mariano bends it like Johnny Hodges. Wonderful stuff. A delicious recording for any Mingus fans out there.

Charles Mingus - Track B - Duet Solo Dancers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbLHhayYxB8
Ivor

Abbey Lincon RIP.

Post by Ivor »

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable