Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by jkeny »

Fran wrote:Does it take the same size ram as a laptop?
I also have PC sized RAM if I need to try this but I might be better getting some fast RAM? I'll see what Marcin at Jplay recommends?

Edit: I checked it & the NUC uses SODIMM RAM which is the type used in laptops, right?
Last edited by jkeny on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Sligolad wrote:What were you plans for the 19v input John?

Just realised I have a Teddy Pardo PS on loan with Sebna which might be worth getting back to test with the NUC.
It is an 18 volt unit I had for the Young DAC and might be worth a try to see if it adds anything?
http://www.teddypardo.com/products/powe ... AC-PS.html
It comes with a 19V brick but I would be very interested in trying the Teddy Pardo PS - I'll give Seb a PM
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

I've made other progress that all might be interested in - I have the USB 3 stick working now (Nice & speedy) & booting Win 8 from it. Comes at just the right time as the Intel NUC has no OS - I got a blank SSD disk.

I used this method for those that are interested in going this route http://agnipulse.com/2012/11/windows-to ... ndows-7-8/
I used method 2 from this page & created a Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) on the USB stick - this seems to be the secret of it's operation? So Nige, this might be worth trying with your USB 3 sticks? With my USB 3 stick it takes less than 30 mins to create this!

Now have to remember why I did this - oh yes, to see if Jplay sounds better when booting Audiophile Win 8 from USB :)
www.Ciunas.biz
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Here's Kingston's memory configurator, http://www.elara.ie/products/Framed.aspx courtesy of elara.ie in Parkwest, enter your PC make/model and it will show what you need.
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
tony

Post by tony »

[quote="Sligolad"]
Hold on to the Zuma for as long as you need Tony as it is in all our interests to understand what makes a positive difference and what adds nothing to the table.

Thanks Pearse but you do understand the pain that ultimately puts me through handing it back??
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
Fran wrote:Does it take the same size ram as a laptop?
I also have PC sized RAM if I need to try this but I might be better getting some fast RAM? I'll see what Marcin at Jplay recommends?

Edit: I checked it & the NUC uses SODIMM RAM which is the type used in laptops, right?
Ya laptop memory in these ddr3 204 pin which is what I go by anyway
Actually had a look at these for a different project, I thought you could buy them without the case maybe not.
I know you were looking at the streacom case for it which looks great for the job

It's a well capable PC as long as its got plenty of memory

Still weary of CPU heatsink fans making noise it's my only reservation on this PC
Might not be a big deal but ill go fully passive/fanless I think

Like this little nuc pc though would be nicer with usb3
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

This fanless case is currently available for the Intel NUC for £99 + £20 delivery from here http://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk/nuc-ye- ... d33217gke/
Nice looking case (can also get a laser engraved message on it - would like to see this to check if it looks lame or classy?)
www.Ciunas.biz
tony

Post by tony »

jkeny wrote:This fanless case is currently available for the Intel NUC for £99 + £20 delivery from here http://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk/nuc-ye- ... d33217gke/
Nice looking case too.
John How much are you expecting all the bits for the nuc to mount up to? It would seem to be moving towards the €6-700 mark.
Could you list all the bits required or all the extra bits you think will make it work best?

Still hung up on the zuma for the moment. I notice elara have the intel parts well the chip is due in shortly. It is priced at €293. Motherboard is €98. Regardless of where the bits are coming from in europe it still seems to come out at €1200ish for the parts.That is without sotm usb card.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:This fanless case is currently available for the Intel NUC for £99 + £20 delivery from here http://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk/nuc-ye- ... d33217gke/
Nice looking case (can also get a laser engraved message on it - would like to see this to check if it looks lame or classy?)
Says not suitable for intel nuc ye model ?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

tony wrote: John How much are you expecting all the bits for the nuc to mount up to? It would seem to be moving towards the €6-700 mark.
Could you list all the bits required or all the extra bits you think will make it work best?
Sure,
€400 delivered for the following
Intel Nuc
Intel 60GB SSD
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 WiFi card

Memory I haven't priced yet but I'm using this as an AudioPC so no more than 8GB needed, I think. Nige, max RAM is 16GB

Optional fanless case £120 delivered - in time there might be cheaper fanless cases if/when th eform factor becomes popular.

So yea, it might come out at about €600? Not including screen & keyboard/mouse as Zuma is also not including these.

Sorry, Nige wrong link - should be this one http://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk/nuc-ye- ... d33217gke/
www.Ciunas.biz