What are you listening to?

Ciaran

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Ciaran »

Speaking of organ records, I've been hugely enjoying this bargain double CD of Marie-Claire Alain playing Bach:

When Stephen Farr and Andrew McGregor discussed CDs of Bach's organ works in Building a Library back in October, the eventual top choice was Marie-Claire Alain's latest (early 90s) set on historic instruments which is currently out of the catalogue, with one of her earlier cycles (which apparently are both available) as an alternative. Shortly afterwards I spotted this set in Tower and since it was cheap, I got it. It turns out to be from her latest cycle and it's really exhilarating with a nice selection of works.

I also recently got the first CD of Bine Bryndorf's cycle of Buxtehude on da capo:

I got vols 4-6 (which are SACDs) some time ago and I've always enjoyed them. This is very enjoyable too, vols 2 and 3 will be acquired in due course!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:
fergus wrote:if Simon is lurking
I'm always lurking!
LOL!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Ciaran wrote: When Stephen Farr and Andrew McGregor discussed CDs of Bach's organ works in Building a Library back in October, the eventual top choice was Marie-Claire Alain's latest (early 90s) set on historic instruments which is currently out of the catalogue, with one of her earlier cycles (which apparently are both available) as an alternative. Shortly afterwards I spotted this set in Tower and since it was cheap, I got it. It turns out to be from her latest cycle and it's really exhilarating with a nice selection of works.
I heard that programme Ciaran and that Alain cycle is definitely on my Wish List so I am glad to read that good report!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Brahms 3 & 4 [Norrington]....

Like Mackerras, Norrington uses a chamber sized orchestra which, for me, works better in Brahms’ symphonic work allowing for cleaner, lighter textures. To me the feel and the spirit of this music is different with this performance as it seems lighter than can sometimes be the case. These versions have less of a heavy, full on Romantic feel to them and I thought that they were lovely performances and I really liked them.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I always wanted to buy Alain's set on Erato, but I didn't realise she'd done a later one. I haven't actually heard her Bach, but I have a suspicion it won't be my cup of tea. I wonder am I right?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

I revisited Piano Concertos Nos. 2 & 3 this evening and I certainly reconfirmed No. 3 as being my favourite one of the three.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Beethoven – Symphonies Nos. 7 & 8 Klemperer.

I was hoping that No. 7 would not be a slower and more ponderous performance than it obviously should be and I was not disappointed in this regard. The tempi were adequately paced throughout and the textures and “feel” of the performance were not “heavy” resulting in a most enjoyable performance.
No. 8 was an equally enjoyable performance.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

I really like Lully's music Dave....I assume that line up produced good performances?