Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
fergus

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

jadarin wrote:ImageBon Iver.
I have absolutely no idea who this is but great artwork!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Had that on myself last night but only got to listen to side 1 - sounds promising though!
Do or do not, there is no try
cybot

Post by cybot »

My head is spinning, my heart is doing cartwheels and my poor tummy is up the creek! Only found out today about Jimi at the Winterland's complete set of concerts over 3 days, I think (on 8 slabs of vinyl, that's 16 sides!?!?) which is pencilled in for early Sept. release :-) Please, please, stop this torture?!?!?!?!? and all because I went looking for the supposed triple vinyl set of Rory's newie Notes From San Francisco!

From this original double Lp set....

To this monster 8 Lp/4 CD/1 CD of highlights....

Experience Hendrix LLC and Legacy Recordings proudly announce four new titles representing the fourth wave of releases in the monumental Jimi Hendrix Catalog Project, available everywhere Tuesday, September 13.
The fourth round of titles from the artist Rolling Stone magazine called "the greatest guitarist of all time" focuses on Hendrix the concert performer with four outstanding releases underscoring the artist's electrifying on-stage prowess: Winterland (a 4 Disc Deluxe Box Set), Hendrix In The West (Expanded), Blue Wild Angel: Jimi Hendrix Live At The Isle Of Wight on DVD, and Jimi Hendrix: The Dick Cavett Show (every Hendrix appearance on the celebrated talk show on DVD).
Jimi Hendrix Experience- Winterland  (versions available: 4 Disc Deluxe Box Set or 8 12" 180 gram Vinyl Audiophile LP Deluxe Box Set or 1 CD Winterland "Highlights")
Winterland is drawn from six stellar shows recorded over three days (October 10, 11 and 12, 1968) at San Francisco's historic Winterland Ballroom.  These special performances celebrated the two year anniversary of the Jimi Hendrix Experience and came just as the groundbreaking album Electric Ladyland was released.
Winterland presents some of Hendrix’s most spectacular guitar work and the four CD set (also available as eight 12" vinyl LPs) is filled with rare live versions of classic songs such as "Manic Depression," "Are You Experienced?," "Tax Free," and "Little Wing" that are not part of any other Sony Legacy release.  Fans will also enjoy Hendrix’s dramatic interpretations of Cream’s "Sunshine Of Your Love" and Howlin’ Wolf’s "Killing Floor" [with the Experience joined by Jefferson Airplane bassist Jack Casady] as well his rendition of Bob Dylan’s "Like A Rolling Stone," which has been selected as the lead track for this special release.
This special deluxe box set features never before released music from each of the six unforgettable Winterland performances.  The new standard and deluxe editions of Winterland are markedly different from a single disc compilation, long out of print, that was briefly issued by Rykodisc in 1987 and 1988.
The deluxe edition also presents a rare interview with Hendrix recorded backstage at the Boston Garden a few weeks after the Winterland performances.  This previously unreleased bonus provides fans with a unique window into Hendrix’s views about his background, his approach to the guitar and songwriting and future direction of his music.
The deluxe edition also features a 36 page booked filled with previously unpublished images by acclaimed photographers Robert Knight, Allen Tannenbaum and Jim Marshall as well as an essay by noted Rolling Stone journalist David Fricke.
The featured track, "Like A Rolling Stone," will precede the album's release as a CD and 7" vinyl single coming out Tuesday, August 23 in the states (international release date: August 22). The single will also feature a previously unreleased live version of “Purple Haze” from the Winterland concerts that will not be featured on the box set.

Amazon will offer an exclusive bonus CD to be bundled with all orders of the four CD and 8 LP Winterland box sets sold through Amazon during 2011 consisting of recordings from Jimi's February 4, 1968 Winterland performance: "Killing Floor," "Red House," "Dear Mr. Fantasy (Part One)" and "Dear Mr. Fantasy (Part Two)."  These tracks have been previously available only as part of the rare Dagger Records official bootleg Paris '67/San Francisco '68  and have never been available for retail sale.
Tracklisting Jimi Hendrix Experience- Winterland  (4 Disc Deluxe Box Set)

CD info:

Disc One
10/10/68 Winterland Ballroom, San Francisco
Tax Free
Lover Man
Sunshine of Your Love
Hear My Train A Comin’
Killing Floor
Foxey Lady
Hey Joe
Star Spangled Banner
Purple Haze

Disc Two
10/11/68 Winterland Ballroom, San Francisco
Tax Free                                     
Like a Rolling Stone                        
Lover Man                                          
Hey Joe                                     
Fire                                         
Foxey Lady                                   
Are You Experienced                     
Red House                                      
Purple Haze

Disc Three
10/12/68 Winterland Ballroom, San Francisco
Fire                                               
Lover Man                                   
Like a Rolling Stone                                  
Manic Depression                            
Sunshine of Your Love                    
Little Wing                                       
Spanish Castle Magic                     
Red House                                     
Hey Joe                                      
Purple Haze                                   
Wild Thing

Disc Four
Bonus disc Winterland Ballroom, San Francisco
Foxy Lady                                        
Are You Experienced                                                  
Voodoo Child (Slight Return)                                       
Red House                                      
Star Spangled Banner                                     
Purple Haze

Jimi Hendrix: Boston Garden Backstage Interview
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

To be honest guys, I never 'got' Hendrix. He did some amazing things with his guitar but it still passes me by. And I have no idea why anyone would set their guitar on fire. Even if it was a post CBS Fender Strat.............
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Rocker wrote:To be honest guys, I never 'got' Hendrix. He did some amazing things with his guitar but it still passes me by. And I have no idea why anyone would set their guitar on fire. Even if it was a post CBS Fender Strat.............

You're just jealous Tom ;-) Which guitarists do you admire?
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

This is really pretty good, looking forward to giving it another few plays...

Also, had to go back and give this another go:

Do or do not, there is no try
cybot

Post by cybot »

On the trusty Nottingham Analogue, the sublime Of Rivers and Religion and an album I completely forgot I had! Wonder is it as cliched as the cover ;-)

Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

getting a lot of negative comments on other fora but this one still sounds good to me.

SJB
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

welcome back Sloop John
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
cybot

Post by cybot »

Welcome back Sloop ;-)