Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
markof

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Derek

Post by Derek »

A great artist, I have "At Home" from 2005 and keep meaning to get "Cross my palm with silver" but never seem to get around to it.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Want to hear something different? Try this one......

Derek

Post by Derek »

I have several of Anouar Brahem albums on CD.
As far as memory serves he is Tunisian.

He played with Dave Holland on "Thimar", I can fully recommend "Astrakan Café" and "Le pas du chat noir".
He has the ability to get the most from spaces left in music, (the notes not played), using a sparse amount of instruments, on "Le pas du chat noir" he uses Oud, Accordian and Piano. On "Thimar" Oud, Double Bass, Sax/Clarinet.
Wonderfully mesmeric full of North African, middle eastern atmosphere combined in a Jazz come Classical come Arabic sound.
This isn't 'found in the kitchen soup', this is carefully selected ingredients well prepared and thought out, served from masters of their craft.

Nice one Dermot.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Derek wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:35 am I have several of Anouar Brahem albums on CD.
As far as memory serves he is Tunisian.

He played with Dave Holland on "Thimar", I can fully recommend "Astrakan Café" and "Le pas du chat noir".
He has the ability to get the most from spaces left in music, (the notes not played), using a sparse amount of instruments, on "Le pas du chat noir" he uses Oud, Accordian and Piano. On "Thimar" Oud, Double Bass, Sax/Clarinet.
Wonderfully mesmeric full of North African, middle eastern atmosphere combined in a Jazz come Classical come Arabic sound.
This isn't 'found in the kitchen soup', this is carefully selected ingredients well prepared and thought out, served from masters of their craft.

Nice one Dermot.
Nice one too Derek. Thanks for the other recommendations. Would you believe the first time ever I heard the oud was on Sandy Bull's Inventions Lp, where he's joined, as on his first one too, by a guy who knows all about space, Billy Higgins. His drum break on Blend II (a continuation of Blend I from the first Lp) is one of my favourites. His control and dynamic phrasing is mesmerising. Here's to Space :)
markof

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
cybot

Post by cybot »

markof wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:30 pm Image

You might be interested in this so :)

https://store.udiscovermusic.com/*/Pre- ... 6FO0JG7000
markof

Post by markof »

The trumpet player not the bassist.
markof

Post by markof »

Excellent guitar album, often more rock than jazz but they're only labels after all.
cybot

Post by cybot »

markof wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:08 pm Image
Excellent guitar album, often more rock than jazz but they're only labels after all.
Must check this out despite the cringeworthy cover. Joking 🙃 Thanks Mark.....

Have you heard these?

http://www.runegrammofon.com/artists/kr ... n-q-cd-lp/