What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

mcq wrote:That's a fantastic recording, Fergus, but I prefer Gardiner's re-recording of it for a DVD recorded in 1999 to inaugurate his cantata pilgrimage. His choir and orchestra are on outstanding form and his soloists - Claron McFadden, Bernarda Fink, Christoph Genz and Dietrich Henschel - are superior to his earlier recording. The really great thing about Gardiner is the sheer human warmth he communicates to his musicians. I remember watching a documentary (I think it was called The Art of Conducting) in which Gardiner spoke about a formative experience he had early in life when he attended a concert that Karajan gave with the BPO. Despite the quality of the orchestral playing, the overall experience left Gardiner cold and he put this down to Karajan's autocratic manner on the podium and especially the conclusion of the concert - when the BPO was receiving a standing ovation, Karajan dismissed the orchestra and returned to the stage by himself to receive the applause. I believe that Gardiner was just beginning his time as a fledgeling conductor and he made a mental note that he would never treat his musicians in such a manner. And the respect he shows for his choir and orchestra is fully reciprocated in the loyalty that is displayed by the long years of service that many of these people have given him. Just look at the DVD of Gardiner's performance of Monteverdi's 1610 Vespers (recorded in 1989) and count the number of familiar faces that re-appear in the 1999 performance of the Christmas Oratorio.
What a wonderful story. I am a very long admirer of Gardiner and that philosophy does not surprise me! I must indeed look out for that DVD.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Shostakovich – String Quartets Nos. 11-13....

More magnificent music!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Finishing off the evening with some lute music by Giovanni Maria da Crema....

fergus

Post by fergus »

The music of Arvo Part....

Anyone who is not familiar with this composer would do very well to start their investigations here. There is some really beautiful, melodious music with gorgeous harmonies contained in these smaller secular works. I have had this disc for a number of years now and it is always a joy to revisit.
fergus

Post by fergus »

fergus

Post by fergus »

Beethoven – Symphonies Nos. 3 & 4 Klemperer....

No. 3 was a strong, powerful performance and I was particularly impressed with the slow movement which I found was full of powerful emotion and depth of feeling.
No. 4 was also impressive!
mcq

Post by mcq »

Listening today to some wonderful work by the Master, Jean-Philippe Rameau, in the form of Minkowski's magnificent recording of Hippolyte et Aricie (available on DG Archiv) and Noelle Spieth's elegant performances of a selection of his keyboard works (the best recording I've heard of this repertoire since Blandine Rannou's masterly traversal on Zig-Zag) on the Eloquentia label.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

fergus

Post by fergus »

Mozart – Piano Concertos 23, 24 & 26....

Lovely, lyrical playing from Curzon with nice, sensitive orchestral accompaniments.
fergus

Post by fergus »

JSB – Cantatas BWV41 & BWV143 for New Year’s Day....