Does anyone own Sonus Faber Elipsas?

Maz65

Re: Does anyone own Sonus Faber Elipsas?

Post by Maz65 »

I'm sorry to say Mc electronics and SF is a marriage of convenience and not more ;)
Dgt: MSB Analog,MacMini,Audirvana+,HQPlayer Analog: Technics SL1210mk2, Dyna XX2 Mk2, Lehmann Decade Amp: Spectral DMC 15SS + Spectral DMA 200S2 Spkr: Wilson Sophia 3 Cbl: Spectral UL-38 HD/MIT SL-Matrix 26
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

That's interesting to hear, Max. There are pockets of the internet that absolutely swear by Mc equipment, and I was starting to wonder if I was missing out!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Maz65

Post by Maz65 »

Here in Italy the Mc dealer is the same as SF dealer.
If you can use google translate for italian forums, you will be (not) surprised to read that every italian hifi fair in the latest 6-7 years there was no one time where any combination SF and Mc was satisfying.

Maybe the only one good I read was Mc 601 monos + C2500 + Stradivari.

I owned a C2500 preamp (a preamp with a very good phono section imho) and I tested Elipsas with Mc 452 for ten days in my home. Everything was good only at low level volume. No way: the characteristic SF bass added to the characteristic Mc bass is too much. Maybe you can solve it with an heavy room treatment, it's not for me. Or, maybe, there is some incompatibility with autoformers, really don't know.

Sure is if you go to Mc, forget the sound of your Graafs ;-)

Old school SF (which Elipsa and Stradivari are the latest one) is for SS or very good tubes. New school is more "universal" but in my sonic taste it seems some magic is lost. That's the reason because personally I prefer the latest Serblin speakers (Ktema etc.) rather than the new SF way of sound. Except Lilium and maybe the new Cremonese.

Last, I don't exclude the new series are more Mc friendly as a precise project specification ;)

It's time to go to bed ! Tomorrow is "The Great Day" :-)
Dgt: MSB Analog,MacMini,Audirvana+,HQPlayer Analog: Technics SL1210mk2, Dyna XX2 Mk2, Lehmann Decade Amp: Spectral DMC 15SS + Spectral DMA 200S2 Spkr: Wilson Sophia 3 Cbl: Spectral UL-38 HD/MIT SL-Matrix 26
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

Both Sonus Faber and McInstosh are owned by the same parent company - Finer Sounds
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
Maz65

Post by Maz65 »

HiFiFan wrote:Both Sonus Faber and McInstosh are owned by the same parent company - Finer Sounds
Yes, and I want to point out that in the same parent company there is also Audio Research that imho is not the best in absolute therms but is far better than Mc when coupling with Sonus Faber. But, because here the AR dealer is not the same as SF and Mc, the Sonus Faber are not demoed with these electronics...
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Brief update: I'm still loving these, listening to more music than before, and at no point have I listened to anything and thought "I preferred this with my previous speakers". I'm still shocked tbh.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote:Brief update: I'm still loving these, listening to more music than before, and at no point have I listened to anything and thought "I preferred this with my previous speakers". I'm still shocked tbh.
Excellent result!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Brief update: I'm still loving these, listening to more music than before, and at no point have I listened to anything and thought "I preferred this with my previous speakers". I'm still shocked tbh.
Risk paid off. Terrific. Nice one.
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford