Listening Session - Dacs/CDPs

cybot

Re: Listening Session - Dacs/CDPs

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:I can't help thinking Dave... you have new speakers, a new amp, good digital source and good analogue source... why not take a step back and just enjoy it?

If you change too much at any one time you're never 100% sure what's giving what... just a suggestion.... relax for a while and enjoy the music.
Now that's what I call sound advice. Good call Ivor.....
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I'm happy with what I've got Ivor, just gonna do some experimentation with speaker positioning to see if an improvement can be made. It'll be for free afterall. Believe me I've done an awful lot of listening since the new gear arrived so I've a pretty good idea how it sounds now.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

DaveF wrote:just gonna do some experimentation with speaker positioning to see if an improvement can be made.
With the Quads I believe you need to break up the waves at the back, usually shelving or whatever. Maybe the walls either side of the window will work, ultimately only trial and error will tell. Good luck with it!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

ok so I've moved the speakers to a temporary position just to see how it goes for a few days. Loads of space in behind now and there is no question that the whole presentation has changed now. A lot more depth and ambience to any recordings I've tried so far particulary with large scale orchestral. Still need to play around with seating position too, nearer or further away etc.
The TV will be moved out of there tomorrow or weekend when I get some help to move it to the other end.

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

This should be the top Google image search result for "bachelor pad"
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
tony

Post by tony »

Diapason wrote:This should be the top Google image search result for "bachelor pad"
Tough life alright looking over the estuary, Stroll out to the village for some refreshments or just catch a few tunes on the Quads.
You should get Dave to post a photo of the gaming set up it will bring more tears to your eyes Simon
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Saw it with my own eyes, Tony, but I still hardly believe it.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
tony

Post by tony »

Diapason wrote:Saw it with my own eyes, Tony, but I still hardly believe it.
Forgot you visited with the Wadia. Have the Meitner here at the moment and will give it a comparison with the LZ. Can't see how I can abx it
by myself and also given the fact I seem to have switch default device when I change. Had great fun trying to get it going. I had inadvertently stuck the usb cable in the usb maint slot.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Let us know how you get on anyway, Tony. I'll be interested in your views.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

tony wrote:Have the Meitner here at the moment and will give it a comparison with the LZ. Can't see how I can abx it
by myself and also given the fact I seem to have switch default device when I change. Had great fun trying to get it going. I had inadvertently stuck the usb cable in the usb maint slot.
Do make a good effort to level match Tony if you can otherwise expectation bias is nearly impossible to eliminate. Perhaps when I call over we could do some sort of abx test. Or we just talk about hifi. :-)