JC Audiophile optimization on win7, 2012, and R2.

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jesuscheung

Re: JC Audiophile optimization on win7, 2012, and R2.

Post by jesuscheung »

----TWEAK 31----
PCI lock

quote:
"PCI lock prevents Windows from reallocating I/O and IRQ resources on the PCI bus. The I/O and memory resources set by the BIOS are preserved. It should be checked in MSCONFIG."
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... a473fa67ad

also recommended by pkshan
quote:
"Don't do this if BIOS is in UEFI mode"
http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_72b3301c0100ph2c.html

on my win7, i have checked the PCI lock in msconfig.
on my 2012/8/R2, i have unchecked the PCI lock. SQ noticeably worse off if checked.

if your audiophile script changes the PCI lock, then you must test it yourself! this setting is dangerous!
internethandle

Post by internethandle »

JC, what do you think of the "Leatrix Latency Fix 3" tweak pkshan also recommends in the above link? He either added it recently or I didn't notice it the first time I went through his Windows Optimizations. Anyway, I installed it and it doesn't seem to do anything to DPC Latency, just some sort of network latency setting - I think it's audible, a little more air/reverb but less body in YouTubes so far.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

internethandle wrote:JC, what do you think of the "Leatrix Latency Fix 3" tweak pkshan also recommends in the above link? He either added it recently or I didn't notice it the first time I went through his Windows Optimizations. Anyway, I installed it and it doesn't seem to do anything to DPC Latency, just some sort of network latency setting - I think it's audible, a little more air/reverb but less body in YouTubes so far.
only installed on my laptop.

don't think this tweak should be encouraged. imagine everyone flooding more data to the internet servers! breaking the internet for better SQ? haha

the less people know this tweak the better.
internethandle

Post by internethandle »

jesuscheung wrote:
internethandle wrote:JC, what do you think of the "Leatrix Latency Fix 3" tweak pkshan also recommends in the above link? He either added it recently or I didn't notice it the first time I went through his Windows Optimizations. Anyway, I installed it and it doesn't seem to do anything to DPC Latency, just some sort of network latency setting - I think it's audible, a little more air/reverb but less body in YouTubes so far.
only installed on my laptop.

don't think this tweak should be encouraged. imagine everyone flooding more data to the internet servers! breaking the internet for better SQ? haha

the less people know this tweak the better.
Yeah, quite possible.

What's the applocale mod he posted? From what I gather applocale is a program used when you want to use programs that contain language/characters that your Windows install does not have (e.g. if you were on a Win 7 install with Chinese characters and wanted to run an English language version of a program, or the other way around). Doesn't seem applicable if you're not in that situation/scenario...
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

say you have english version of windows, you have a computer game in japanese. sometimes the japanese characters can messed up. this applocale thing fixes it.

sounds like pkshan is online gaming recently. trying to get best SQ while gaming?! (latency fix and language fix haha)
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

----TWEAK 32 (EXPERIMENTING)----
for advanced user only
reduce dependence among services.

NOTE: this tweak very tedious. will takes 20-30mins.

1. open regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
2. open services.msc
3. for every service that isn't running but depends on "Remote Procedure Call", find "DependOnService", remove "RpcSs" from it.

because "Remote Procedure Call" is always running i never see it fails.there is no point for 90% of services that depends on it checking if it is running or not. if it is not running, you OS doesn't work anyway.

another example, "Computer Browser" depends on "server" and "workstation", you can remove these two from "DependOnService" knowing that "Computer Browser" is totally useless. It is not IE!

SQ change is noticeable as you are tweaking. pay attention to less digital treble and watch for more air.
remember to backup! you won't remember what you did! there is no going back!
Last edited by jesuscheung on Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
internethandle

Post by internethandle »

Does the above tweak work with services that may depend on Rpcss but are disabled? (i.e. Start DWORD 4, as opposed to 3/manual)
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

internethandle wrote:Does the above tweak work with services that may depend on Rpcss but are disabled? (i.e. Start DWORD 4, as opposed to 3/manual)
it means when a service wants to start, it will start regardless of rpcss running or not.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

added warning to tweak 32. do this tweak at your own risk. i am still experimenting it.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

updated tweak 30
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2456&start=160#p49694

should apply this tweak to every single service. zero harm on SQ. only positive effect.

even a disabled or manual service has a 'counter' running at all time that takes up to 1000 days to reset. WTF MICROSOFT.

alternatively, you could wait for 1000 days until SQ improves.

this is one of the reasons R2 is worse than R1 given the same amount of tweaks. R2 introduces 100 of new features(drivers,services) will always damage SQ.