Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
tony

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by tony »

Listening to this a fair bit at the moment along with Buena Vista Social Club. Both are excellent and are sounding particularly good using the JKCiunas with intona and a TotalDac usb cable on my Spendor A6's. Jasus Miles really was incredible. I saw something recently I think for the Warfield theatre in circa 1971 with Miles opening for Neil Young. They really had it good back then.

Another one that I eventually found but only got turned on to it from a night in Fran's awhile back. Georgi played it. Again just incredible stuff. Watermelon is the stand out track for me

GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Thinkfloyd

Post by Thinkfloyd »

Art Pepper's "Neon Art", volumes 1-3. This posthumous series was curated by his widow Laurie, under her "Widow's Taste" label. They are live records, captured during Pepper's renaissance at the end of the seventies. He had been through rehab for a serious heroin addiction that saw him spend almost a decade in prison over four sentences in the fifties and sixties. When he got clean he went back on tour, and arrived at a free flowing joyful sound, enjoying his music and performance after years of being a shy performer. These LPs are some of my favourites, in neon red, pink and yellow vinyl. The recordings themselves aren't perfect, but they are wonderful representations of one of the greatest Alto Saxophonists of all time.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Thinkfloyd wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:14 pm Image

Art Pepper's "Neon Art", volumes 1-3. This posthumous series was curated by his widow Laurie, under her "Widow's Taste" label. They are live records, captured during Pepper's renaissance at the end of the seventies. He had been through rehab for a serious heroin addiction that saw him spend almost a decade in prison over four sentences in the fifties and sixties. When he got clean he went back on tour, and arrived at a free flowing joyful sound, enjoying his music and performance after years of being a shy performer. These LPs are some of my favourites, in neon red, pink and yellow vinyl. The recordings themselves aren't perfect, but they are wonderful representations of one of the greatest Alto Saxophonists of all time.
A nice read on a horrible wet and windy day. Love the pic too. I only have one Pepper in my collection but still.....can't have everything!
Thinkfloyd

Post by Thinkfloyd »

cybot wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:55 pm A nice read on a horrible wet and windy day. Love the pic too. I only have one Pepper in my collection but still.....can't have everything!
Thanks Cybot! I post these things on instagram and I don't know if anyone actually reads them! I must remember to put some of them over here too while I'm at it. Here's another Art Pepper trilogy while I'm at it!

My set of Art Pepper's Village Vanguard sessions from 1977. These records marked his live recording debut, after 15 years out of the scene behind bars. At the time of recording he was back to his best, but still had a lot of raw emotion and power showing in his playing. These are savage records, brilliantly recorded and mastered. The trio accompanying Pepper contains some of the most accomplished men in the business - my favourite pianist, George Cables, George Mraz on bass, and Elvin Jones on drums. The promoter feared that they would outshine Pepper, but that was never a risk. They play so well together it's as if they'd been doing it all their lives, and each of them complements the others, letting them shine. There is a 4th record called "More for Les at the Village Vanguard" which is some additional tracks from the sessions, so that's on my hit list. They also released a "complete" box set on CD, with something like 9 hours of music. It's long out of production, but some day I'll track one down.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

This Art Pepper Quartet Record Store Day LP was quite expensive on the day €39, I managed to get it for €24 a couple of weeks ago. Hard to believe it was recorded in 1958, it sounds spectacular.

Here's a great track off the LP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHuwdk2YLLc
cybot

Post by cybot »

Same song, different strokes.....

Georgi

Post by Georgi »

Some good music here guys, keep it coming. :)

Yes, Herbie Hancock is one of my favourite. Thanks Tony.

When we can do another meet up like that, or I can organise one at home, if anyone is interested?
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

.sjb
markof

Post by markof »

Good news re ECM label

It looks like ECM have relaxed their prohibition on music streaming.

Lots of their catalog of Jazz and Classical now available.

Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
cybot

Post by cybot »

Good news indeed!