MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: MQN

Post by nige2000 »

realtek chipsets are generally well supported for linux
probably best to ask the developer which wifi chipsets are supported
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

So, I just edited my previous post...more time more experience.
I would say that I can recognize major difference between Daphile and MQn, by now. I went back and forth few times in last 4 days, changing different sources on Daphile. I played music from USB stick, used to boot computer up, local HD and MyBookLive (Ethernet). There is a noticeable difference in favor of USB and Local HD. Network drive would sound more compressed, it reminds me to playing music with FooBar.
To make it short. Daphile will grab your attention quickly, very detailed and accurate, but on bright side. I would say little bass light. Once you switch back to MQn, you figure out that music is more relaxed and more enjoyable, or more "analog" like. MQn doesn't make me tired of listening at all...it could be that I'm lazy to stand up and run another set of tracks, who knows...lol.
I don't think I would even go into this adventure if Gordon didn't bring it up. The other one was that people who tried it came back with very polarized opinion on this system.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

new message from on high, from the thread on CA

---Quote (Originally by marklevinson)---
Nice to have your interest and fast reply. A+ is a process that is very subtle when you click it on and off, but it changes the listening experience as you will see. Think of the difference between a PCM copy of an analog master tape, and a pure DSD copy made with the best converters, or high speed analog tape. The difference with PCM is a signature that results in listening fatigue, possibly headaches or irritation leading to turning off the music. A+ makes it possible for the brain to respond without the stress response. This will be clearly explained, documented and presented in the near future. Best to let people see what they can do with MC, and have open communication about it.

One very important issue is that music systems do not reproduce music, they reproduce recordings of music. Recordings are mastered on systems that vary up to +/- 12dB in frequency response because the playback systems they are mastered on do. You can't make that go away by changing equipment. But EQ without A+ is not going to work. If it did, we would all know about it by now. Dick Burwen and I developed Burwen Bobcat, a system for Windows, with somewhat of the same intention, but MC is quite different, and exactly what I want to use myself in my mastering and personal listening. Sometimes, only A+ is enough, but there are almost no recordings that can't benefit from some EQ, sometimes only a few tenths of a dB, but clearly audible. Without A+, in my opinion, just EQ is not a real solution to optimizing sonic quality.

more at http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-s ... post289776

sounds like he's smoothing out the bits that may become sibilant
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

there's almost a sensible bits are bits thread on PFM, what's happening, we'll have cats sleeping with dogs next.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/show ... p?t=150227
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

sbgk wrote:there's almost a sensible bits are bits thread on PFM, what's happening, we'll have cats sleeping with dogs next.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/show ... p?t=150227
It's not April 1st , is it?
I'll bite & have a look :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Post by tony »

Eh that is wishful thinking it just seems relaxed at the moment but surely you can see the under current that will bubble to the surface.
Poor auld Itemaudio is being bashed around by dealers and the usual protagonists on the usb cable threads. Mine you thick skin there he is well able for them.
It is just the same auld circular requests for acceptable blind tests/evidence, your nuts there is no difference I haven't tried and will not because I know, badly designed dacs etc etc. Nearly jumped in but sanity prevailed but some new posters are landing excellent hits but the modus operandi is to ignore those posters or make 'knowing' comments.

Observing is better fun as participation sucks the joy of life from me anyway.

Anyway we are getting side tracked any progress on 24bit for us poor souls. We need a fix
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Just had a read of the PFM thread & can report "It's life, Jim, but not as we know it"
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Post by tony »

Yes Craggy Island seems so detached for the hurly burly of the big city
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

tony wrote:Eh that is wishful thinking it just seems relaxed at the moment but surely you can see the under current that will bubble to the surface.
Poor auld Itemaudio is being bashed around by dealers and the usual protagonists on the usb cable threads. Mine you thick skin there he is well able for them.
It is just the same auld circular requests for acceptable blind tests/evidence, your nuts there is no difference I haven't tried and will not because I know, badly designed dacs etc etc. Nearly jumped in but sanity prevailed but some new posters are landing excellent hits but the modus operandi is to ignore those posters or make 'knowing' comments.

Observing is better fun as participation sucks the joy of life from me anyway.

Anyway we are getting side tracked any progress on 24bit for us poor souls. We need a fix
got sidetracked, am trying to understand kernel streaming, PortAudio is the only open source KS implementation that I know so am playing about with pa builds. Squeezelite uses PA, so if I can get it sounding better then the whole squeezebox ecosystem becomes available, am trying optimisation settings to start with, one drawback is it seems to be 32 bit, but at least it moves me forward in the KS code.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

is any of the wasapi knowledge transferable to ks, or are you learning from scratch,
did a bit of listening to jplay, daphile and mqn today,

if i could use Daphile and hear MQn it really would be fantastic
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's