Recent Purchases

Ciaran

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by Ciaran »

Interesting, but I have too much Debussy piano music already: complete sets from Éricourt, Gieseking and Bavouzet, plus Michelangeli, Zimerman, Pollini, Richter and Ogawa. What I really need are top-notch modern digital recordings of the orchestral works, and I suppose I should make another attempt at Pelleas.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Ciaran wrote:What I really need are top-notch modern digital recordings of the orchestral works
Yes, I'm still on the search for that myself. The Martinon set that I bought doesn't really tick that box, and based on the Prelude a l'Apres Midi d'un Faune alone, I'm not sure that the playing is for me either. For some reason I seem to have very specific requirements in Debussy that are rarely met, but I've no idea where these requirements have come from!

In any case, the Casadesuses recordings, as celebrated as they are, wouldn't be for me.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:
Ciaran wrote:What I really need are top-notch modern digital recordings of the orchestral works
Yes, I'm still on the search for that myself. The Martinon set that I bought doesn't really tick that box, and based on the Prelude a l'Apres Midi d'un Faune alone, I'm not sure that the playing is for me either. For some reason I seem to have very specific requirements in Debussy that are rarely met, but I've no idea where these requirements have come from!

In any case, the Casadesuses recordings, as celebrated as they are, wouldn't be for me.
I like Haitink's & HvK's Debussy recordings.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

Ciaran wrote:Interesting, but I have too much Debussy piano music already: complete sets from Éricourt, Gieseking and Bavouzet, plus Michelangeli, Zimerman, Pollini, Richter and Ogawa. What I really need are top-notch modern digital recordings of the orchestral works, and I suppose I should make another attempt at Pelleas.
Hold on ! You mean that I am not the only fan of Debussy's piano music on this forum ? Hourray !!! Very nice to read this. The problem with the box set that I am talking about is that we don't know yet who conducts which orchestral pieces. It is rather vague.

Matt.
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

Diapason wrote:

Are they "old" recording (The Casdesus)? Because I was kinda hoping for a recent recording (say in the last 40 years). I am starting to have my doubts about this set now. Perhaps I should wait to get more informations.

Matt.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

ravel30 wrote:
Diapason wrote: In any case, the Casadesuses recordings, as celebrated as they are, wouldn't be for me.
Are they "old" recording (The Casdesus)? Because I was kinda hoping for a recent recording (say in the last 40 years). I am starting to have my doubts about this set now. Perhaps I should wait to get more informations.

Matt.
Yep, they're old, I think they were recorded in the '40s or '50s. I looked at the details of that Debussy box when you first mentioned it and it didn't really appeal, I must admit.

I have a few different recordings of the Debussy Preludes and all told my favourite is probably Zimerman. That's a controversial choice, I know lots of people don't like it, but I prefer it even to Michelangeli (gasp!) I'm missing most of the rest of Debussy's piano music, except for a few bits and bobs here and there. Truth be told, I rarely listen to solo piano music these days.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:Image
I have considered that one Darren so I will be interested in your view of it in time.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Image
I have considered that one Darren so I will be interested in your view of it in time.
I bought it to celebrate the news that I have been offered a place on my Sociology Masters course :-D