Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
markof

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by markof »

Sax, guitar and electronics - very english flavour.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
markof

Post by markof »

Sensational
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
markof

Post by markof »

Thinkfloyd

Post by Thinkfloyd »

Hopefully this works! This is my current Jazz collection on LP.

cybot

Post by cybot »

Thinkfloyd wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:52 pm Hopefully this works! This is my current Jazz collection on LP.

That's one cool photo! Classic Jazz collection too. Hopefully you won't run out of space :)
Kind of reminds me of a favourite Lp cover of mine....What's your favourite five?

'Fast Asleep' by Funky Porcini
Thinkfloyd

Post by Thinkfloyd »

Run out of space on the floor certainly! I like that album cover.

Top 5 is hard, also hard not to be predictable :)
Oscar Peterson - Night Train
Sonny Rollins - Saxophone colossus
Miles Davis - Ascenseur pour l'échafaud (this Sam reissue on the fireplace is incredible)
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um (Jazz images press, second down on the right)
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else
And I have to give honourable mention to all the Art Pepper in there. I can't pick a favourite of his.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Thinkfloyd wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:13 pm Run out of space on the floor certainly! I like that album cover.

Top 5 is hard, also hard not to be predictable :)
Oscar Peterson - Night Train
Sonny Rollins - Saxophone colossus
Miles Davis - Ascenseur pour l'échafaud (this Sam reissue on the fireplace is incredible)
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um (Jazz images press, second down on the right)
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else
And I have to give honourable mention to all the Art Pepper in there. I can't pick a favourite of his.
It's a neat one alright.

Nuthin' wrong with that list! The Miles one I've held in my hands plenty of times but just couldn't decide whether to buy or not....and it was a double vinyl edition. Argh! I will next time I see it.....Mingus too.

I see you've also got a Bill Evans album there too; though he looks a bit portly so maybe it's not him at all! Anyway I was going to recommend The Village Vangard sessions with Le Faro and Motian.

I also note you've no ECM albums on the floor; maybe they're on the ceiling ;)
Thinkfloyd

Post by Thinkfloyd »

cybot wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:17 pm The Miles one I've held in my hands plenty of times but just couldn't decide whether to buy or not....and it was a double vinyl edition. Argh! I will next time I see it.....Mingus too.

I see you've also got a Bill Evans album there too; though he looks a bit portly so maybe it's not him at all! Anyway I was going to recommend The Village Vangard sessions with Le Faro and Motian.

Mingus is essential! This version of the Miles Davis one is a 10" single LP. It's the same format as the original, and the best reissue by a long way. There are some poor 12" presses by DOL and some others which aren't worth picking up. Here's a snap of it.

The Bill Evans is the "Bill Evans Tony Bennett Album". I actually have two copies of this through my own bad memory. Picked it up second hand, forgetting that I had ordered it online the week before. Will certainly look for the Vanguard sessions. I have Art Pepper's three nights there and I love the atmosphere on them.

No ECM yet. Not something I've come across much here, particularly on vinyl. There's some wonderful stuff on ECM though. For some reason I would think of ECM as a label to buy on CD.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Thinkfloyd wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:11 pm
cybot wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:17 pm The Miles one I've held in my hands plenty of times but just couldn't decide whether to buy or not....and it was a double vinyl edition. Argh! I will next time I see it.....Mingus too.

Mingus is essential! This version of the Miles Davis one is a 10" single LP. It's the same format as the original, and the best reissue by a long way. There are some poor 12" presses by DOL and some others which aren't worth picking up. Here's a snap of it.

The Bill Evans is the "Bill Evans Tony Bennett Album". I actually have two copies of this through my own bad memory. Picked it up second hand, forgetting that I had ordered it online the week before. Will certainly look for the Vanguard sessions. I have Art Pepper's three nights there and I love the atmosphere on them.

No ECM yet. Not something I've come across much here, particularly on vinyl. There's some wonderful stuff on ECM though. For some reason I would think of ECM as a label to buy on CD.
That's a beauty of a photo. I've heard of the Sam label but not enough to write about it. Must go check.

Yeah that Vangard place must have been pretty special. John Coltrane's Vangard sessions are stunning too especially the second volume with Pharoah Sanders.

ECM was made for vinyl! The pressings are exemplary and I honestly wouldn't listen to any other format they're that good. Anyway here's my all time favourite ECM or otherwise; it's from an ancient ECM Lp called 'Le Voyage' and features Paul Motian, Jenny F Clarke and Charles Brackeen. I always bring it with me anytime I'm demoing something. It sounds amazing with Motian's filigree brush stokes, Clarke's upright bass stunningly captured to perfection and, of course, how could you not be moved by Brackeen's weeping sax. 'Folk Song For Rosie' indeed.....Unfortunately I can't find it on YouTube but, trust me, you will not be disappointed.

https://www.discogs.com/Paul-Motian-Tri ... se/1899076
cybot

Post by cybot »

Time I started listening to my ECM records again starting with this one: