What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:Image

The other recording I have of Buxtehude's 'Membra Jesu Nostri' is one by the The Netherlands Bach Society which I believe Ciaran has in his collection too. I bought the above when I spotted Emma Kirkby listed as one of the soloists and Purcell Quartet have a good rep. The performance here is very moving, beautiful and very spiritual. It has revived my interest in this work and with a quick search online I see that Rene Jacobs and JE Gardiner have also recorded this work which are probably worth checking out.
The only version that I have of this work Dave is Gardiner (inevitable for me I suppose) and it is really lovely. However your version above with Kirkby attracts me as does your mention of a Jacobs version.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Two very different, contrasting works; Shostakovich String Quartets Nos. 1 & 2 played by the Borodin Quartet....

mcq

Post by mcq »

fergus wrote:

The other recording I have of Buxtehude's 'Membra Jesu Nostri' is one by the The Netherlands Bach Society which I believe Ciaran has in his collection too. I bought the above when I spotted Emma Kirkby listed as one of the soloists and Purcell Quartet have a good rep. The performance here is very moving, beautiful and very spiritual. It has revived my interest in this work and with a quick search online I see that Rene Jacobs and JE Gardiner have also recorded this work which are probably worth checking out.
The only version that I have of this work Dave is Gardiner (inevitable for me I suppose) and it is really lovely. However your version above with Kirkby attracts me as does your mention of a Jacobs version.
Rene Jacobs' version of this masterpiece is predictably excellent, Fergus, but my favourite reading is by Konrad Junghanel, which is unmatched for its intensity. Both of these fine versions are available on Harmonia Mundi.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

mcq wrote: Rene Jacobs' version of this masterpiece is predictably excellent, Fergus, but my favourite reading is by Konrad Junghanel, which is unmatched for its intensity. Both of these fine versions are available on Harmonia Mundi.
Thanks for that....another one for the list so!!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Lully – Les Comedies-ballets performed by Les Musiciens du Louvre/Minkowski....

This is great music making.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

My favourite (of the many versions I have) is the one you mention, the Netherlands Bach Society. I discovered the work by finding JEG's recording: I'd never heard of it, and it wasn't as frequently recorded as it is now. I wouldn't return to JEG that often: it's quite a big choir, I feel it works better one-to-a-part, which is how it's almost invariably done these days. OTOH the JEG version was a revelation when I first heard it. I'm currently waiting for

a version with La Chapelle Rhénane under Benoît Haller, enthusiastically recommended recently in International Record Review.
mcq

Post by mcq »

One of the most beautiful things I've heard all year. Michel Corboz conducting Franck's Sept Paroles du Christ sur la Croix and Gounod's Sept Paroles de Notre Seigneur Jesus-Christ sur la Croix in performances of rapturous intensity. Absolutely mesmerising.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
mcq

Post by mcq »

fergus wrote:Lully – Les Comedies-ballets performed by Les Musiciens du Louvre/Minkowski....

This is great music making.
Indeed it is, Fergus. Second only to the mighty Rameau and Charpentier. Does that CD contain the entire opera, Phaeton, or just the orchestral suite? I have this version and it's absolutely wonderful. It's a pity that Minkowski did not record more Lully - just Phaeton and Acis et Galatee - but what he did record was fantastic.

fergus

Post by fergus »

mcq wrote:Indeed it is, Fergus. Second only to the mighty Rameau and Charpentier. Does that CD contain the entire opera, Phaeton, or just the orchestral suite? I have this version and it's absolutely wonderful. It's a pity that Minkowski did not record more Lully - just Phaeton and Acis et Galatee - but what he did record was fantastic.

The 2 CD set that I have has, from what I can see, the same recording as your one but in an edited down version.
fergus

Post by fergus »