What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

There is some wonderful music here especially the opening Adagio to Sinfonia No. 4 which is as beautiful as any music that you will hear!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Some seasonally appropriate music tonight....

fergus

Post by fergus »

Of the appropriate cantata for the second Sunday in Advent, BWV 70a, only fragments survive. JSB incorporated the original version into a bigger scale work, BWV 70.

fergus

Post by fergus »

Soler – Sonatas for Harpsichord....

There is some really very good music on this CD. The playing and the recording are both very good and the harpsichord does sound very well balanced.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:Soler – Sonatas for Harpsichord....

There is some really very good music on this CD. The playing and the recording are both very good and the harpsichord does sound very well balanced.

hmm interesting. Dont have anything from Soler.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Diapason wrote:I didn't know you bought a Koopman set (or did I? Hmmm!) How are you finding it? Was it sensibly priced?
I've had that set for a while now Simon. I havent delved into it to the same extent as I have with the Foccroulle set yet so its too early to judge it. Initial impression was that the sound is a bit brighter in the Koopman set
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
fergus wrote:Soler – Sonatas for Harpsichord....

hmm interesting. Dont have anything from Soler.
I would highly recommend that disc Dave....some lovely music on it and a good recording too!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Some genteel music to accompany me on a walk in the snow and ice this afternoon....

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Some wonderful music on this disc. Reiner and the CSO are really in full flow here.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

The other recording I have of Buxtehude's 'Membra Jesu Nostri' is one by the The Netherlands Bach Society which I believe Ciaran has in his collection too. I bought the above when I spotted Emma Kirkby listed as one of the soloists and Purcell Quartet have a good rep. The performance here is very moving, beautiful and very spiritual. It has revived my interest in this work and with a quick search online I see that Rene Jacobs and JE Gardiner have also recorded this work which are probably worth checking out.