Recent Purchases

fergus

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:Image

In preparation for April!
oh goodness me... I feel the pressure rising already.. I really am going to have to punch above my (light) weight reputation, aren't I?
No pressure is being applied Jared. As it is a work that does not really attract me I only have one orchestral version, Szell, which is a Ravel orchestration. I could not really speak about it until I had at least one more different version for comparison purposes. This is it. Hopefully I will learn lots from this particular upcoming thread.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Image Image
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Jared wrote:is it my imagination, or has the price of just about every disk and box set in my Amazon wishlist, risen fairly steeply since Xmas?? :-//
They continue to do so. Everything in my basket seems to have gone up by 20% or more recently.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:
Jared wrote:is it my imagination, or has the price of just about every disk and box set in my Amazon wishlist, risen fairly steeply since Xmas?? :-//
They continue to do so. Everything in my basket seems to have gone up by 20% or more recently.
I was in Tower yesterday and the Naxos CDs that were €7.99 individually and 3 for €20 are now €9.99 each and 3 for €25. Recession? What recession?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I'm really very anti illegal downloading, but you can see why people resort to it when prices are hiked by so much.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:I'm really very anti illegal downloading, but you can see why people resort to it when prices are hiked by so much.
When I started buying LPS in the Seventies they were selling for £5.99 in real money, recordings have never been as cheap as they are today, so €60 for a box of 15 CDs represents great value for money in my book and it supports a GREAT business like BIS.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Yes yes, of course you're right, but I want it EVEN CHEAPER dammit. :)

I leave prices on most of my CDs (for reasons that I don't understand), and it's quite alarming to see what I used to pay as a struggling student.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: I was in Tower yesterday and the Naxos CDs that were €7.99 individually and 3 for €20 are now €9.99 each and 3 for €25. Recession? What recession?
That is a significant increase Seán, especially for Naxos! They do produce some very good CDs but thankfully there are not too many left on my List!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
bombasticDarren

One for Fergus perhaps....

;-)
bombasticDarren

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote: I was in Tower yesterday and the Naxos CDs that were €7.99 individually and 3 for €20 are now €9.99 each and 3 for €25. Recession? What recession?
That is a significant increase Seán, especially for Naxos! They do produce some very good CDs but thankfully there are not too many left on my List!
I notice quite a few Naxos CDs sold by Amazon (brand new) are closer to £8 rather than the expected £5-6 :-(

Having said that, I am really impressed by Naxos' dedication to the less mainstream repertoire out there. They also have superb credentials when it comes to Sibelius in particular and British composers like Stanford, Bax, Walton and Britten