Re: Americana and suchlike

Post by jaybee »

Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

jaybee wrote:Image
What's that one like John? I only have two albums of his but I've read a few reviews that say that the man hardly ever recorded a poor album. Guitar Town is really good I think.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Its pretty much a halfway point on his long and tortuous journey from ballsy rock and roll style country of his early stuff to his out and out bluegrass later work

I particularly like it, for me its not too yee haw! A very insistent record (he'd just gotten out of prison and this was his "I'm back and from hereon out I'm doing it my way" record)

Some very well judged covers (including one of his own "Goodbye" inspired by recording it with Emmylou Harris for her Wrecking Ball album!)

I'd recommend it alright, but maybe see if you can stream it first-- It might not be to everyone's taste, very different to I Feel Alright and Copperhead Road

I just checked and its on Eircom MusicHub if you have access to that!
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

oh...

and its a fantastic recording.....

all analog... no compression... all live...

lovely warm sound in which the brash tones of the massed steel strings sparkles rather than grates....
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

jaybee wrote:Its pretty much a halfway point on his long and tortuous journey from ballsy rock and roll style country of his early stuff to his out and out bluegrass later work

I particularly like it, for me its not too yee haw! A very insistent record (he'd just gotten out of prison and this was his "I'm back and from hereon out I'm doing it my way" record)

Some very well judged covers (including one of his own "Goodbye" inspired by recording it with Emmylou Harris for her Wrecking Ball album!)

I'd recommend it alright, but maybe see if you can stream it first-- It might not be to everyone's taste, very different to I Feel Alright and Copperhead Road

I just checked and its on Eircom MusicHub if you have access to that!
Agree 100%. I had a good listen earlier and it's a new favourite. Amazing production, very natural live sound
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

I'm not usually one for instrumentals, but Northern Winds is some powerful stuff, unusual for a solo artist to hand off a full track to a guest musician too I would have thought?

Its had a couple of spins in the past few days, I'd forgotten how good it was.... all leading from whipping out Wrecking Ball following your wishing Emmylou a happy birthday Ivor!
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

Wrecking Ball is a classic but I really like Emmylou Harris's Hard Bargain.
Emmylou.jpg
Emmylou.jpg (18.37 KiB) Viewed 445 times
In no way related but I would recommend
Bonnie Prince Billy - I see a darkness
ISeeADarkness.jpg
ISeeADarkness.jpg (46.85 KiB) Viewed 445 times
Bonnie Prince Billy - sings Greatest Palace Music
GreatestHists.jpg
GreatestHists.jpg (29.62 KiB) Viewed 445 times
Last edited by HiFiFan on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

cybot

Post by cybot »

dhyantyke wrote:Image
Exquisite taste indeed, assuming it's a decent enough compilation. If it has Banks of the Nile and After Halloween then you're flying...
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

cybot wrote:
dhyantyke wrote:Image
Exquisite taste indeed, assuming it's a decent enough compilation. If it has Banks of the Nile and After Halloween then you're flying...

Cheers Cybot. I bought this after hearing tracks from it either on Philip Kings or Blue of the night which I think are pretty good reference points....? Both those tracks feature indeed though I'm liking Moments/At the End of the Day/ Who Knows w t t g at the moment. Note to self: Must get some more of her special music....