A turntable, finally?

Diapason

Re: A turntable, finally?

Post by Diapason »

I had some time this morning so did some more tinkering with alignment. Unfortunately I'm now blind and straight lines look wavy and vice versa, but I definitely hear an improvement.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

So how are the new LPs sounding with the new cartridge?
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Cyndale wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:32 pm So how are the new LPs sounding with the new cartridge?
Short version: good!

Longer version: the cart seems to be settling in nicely, and I feel like I'm continuing to hear improvements in tone. First things first, IGD and sibilance problems are gone. Sound is consistent right across the record. The new cart pulls a lot more detail than the previous too. The only downside is that the Elys was a plummy, bass-heavy sort of sound the suited my system in some ways (standmount speakers) and allowed for very easy listening when it was working well. The new cart has a different tonal balance, cleaner, frequency response is way flatter, but this leads to the age-old audiophile problem of showing up poorer recordings. But like I say, it's bedding in nicely, showing plenty of natural warmth and opening out all the time.

I only managed to listen to one new album yesterday, and zero so far today. Hoping to get a go of Getz Gilberto later.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Claus

Post by Claus »

I used to have an Elys years ago, and your experience is very similar to mine, when I upgraded my cartridge. Great to hear the issues have been solved!