Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Fran »

Its 16.99 on play.com

I think the link is back in the last few pages....

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:So I'm guessing I should buy this?
In a word, Yes, they are gorgeous recordings.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Ivor wrote:I ordered this from Play.com today on a friend's tip-off.

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/3478652 ... oduct.html

€16.99 for all five albums? Sur' I'm savin' money sweetheart.
There's the link Simon, it's a no brainer.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Done. Thank you.

There are a few other good things in that Original Album Classics series, I see...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

play.com can be good alright.

I was in HMV Grafton St the other day and an old man (in his eighties anyway) was looking for an album by Count Basie. A spotty kid had gone to check the database but found nothing. The oldster seemed resigned but I noticed the spotty kid had written down Count Bassy. "Ah c'mere son" says I "try this" and spelt it correctly for him. As it happens they still didn't have it (Oldster didn't know the name of the CD, it was about '58, with a Trio etc etc). I gave him the address of Play.com and he said his son would be able to check it. Hopefully it works out for him.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

So thats one point back towards good kharma for ya so Ivor.

Whats one in the face of thousands!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote:So thats one point back towards good kharma for ya so Ivor.

Whats one in the face of thousands!
Waddamean? I'm in credit!

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

You can send a bit this way so....

Anyhoo, had to go back and look at playu again and found this:

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/-/14/39/-/ ... type=genre

and this, although I have both already (and they don't belong in jazz)

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/-/1/26/-/2 ... type=genre

Fran
Seán

Post by Seán »

Duke Ellington Orchestra

This is one of the more unusual recordings in Duke Ellington's vast discography. Recorded over two sessions in early 1959, it includes two new numbers (the infectious "Malletoba Spank" and explosive "Tymperturbably Blue") featuring nine symphony percussionists (that is, 2 vibraphones, 2 xylophones, a marimba, a glockenspeil, kettle drums, bongoes, etc) in the forefront with the full band, a new suite ("Toot Suite") showcasing many of his best soloists (with Russell Procope and Paul Gonsalves taking top honours), a brisk setting of "All of Me" for his star alto saxophonist, Johnny Hodges, along with a guest appearance by Dizzy Gillespie on "U.M.M.G." Perhaps the most exciting number is the closing blues "Hello Little Girl," with Ellington leaving the piano to direct the band (Jimmy Jones takes over on piano, doing a fine job), as Jimmy Rushing belts out its swinging lyrics, embellished by Gillespie's muted horn, in a performance to rival that of Count Basie and his orchestra.

"This is a splendid Ellington recording and is well worth having." - Seán Dunne

"This is the most exciting album of jazz I've ever heard" - Irving Townsend.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Thanks Fran, just ordered that Basie set as well. At around the price of a decent sandwich, it would be rude not to!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2