JC Audiophile optimization on win7, 2012, and R2.

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
internethandle

Re: JC Audiophile optimization on win7, 2012, and R2.

Post by internethandle »

jesuscheung wrote:----TWEAK 29-----
for win2012/R2. admin account only
REMEMBER TO BACKUP. THIS TWEAK CAN CHANGE ANYTIME
SCVHOST

inspired by
internethandle
http://www.graphixanstuff.com/Forum/ind ... opic=15225
http://www.graphixanstuff.com/Forum/ind ... opic=11136

-basically the idea is that no matter how many services you disable/delete, the footprint will remain in SCVHOST. don't know what SCVHOST is? google

-this guide assumes you have deleted the same services like i did and have survived since then:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2456&p=48859#p48859

1. go to registry,
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost]
go through each value, delete these services whenever you see them:
vmicheartbeat, vmicvss, vmictimesync, vmicshutdown, vmicrdv, vmickvpexchange
WdiSystemHost, WdiServiceHost, DPS
MSiSCSI, seclogon, SessionEnv, SENS, Remoteaccess, SCPolicySvc
RemoteRegistry

2. don't tough anything else unless you have tested that SQ will improve.

3. there is also 64bits version of svchost at
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost]
DON'T TOUCH IT unless you know SQ will increase.

how to tell if SQ has increased by deleting a service from svchost?
-if soundstage is reduced or messed up, stop right there!
-if SQ is less free/open, stop right there!
-soundstage can expand. sound should be more free more air more analog. vibration can improve.

what else have i tried?
-i tried put audioendpointbuilder , MMSCC into self-contained svchost, SQ changes, good and bad. shame really. thought SQ will increase unconditionally
-also tried to remove security of all SVCHOST by setting CoInitializeSecurityParam=0. SQ didn't increase.

NOTE: there should be more services removable. i am sick and tired of testing... already tried 30+ services...
Bravo, JC. Definitely a pain in the ass to tweak. Hadn't even occurred to me to mess around with the Wow6432Node svchost... probably will be my next area of insanity... thanks? Ha.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

updated tweak 29 on svchost
need to keep remoteRegistry. cannot install non-digitally-signed driver. no idea why. also causes dry treble if removed remoteRegistry.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

IGNORE THIS. COMING UP WITH A BETTER LIST
----TWEAK 29 (continue)-----

you can remove further remove these from svchost:
(homegroup related craps)
PNRPSvc
p2pimsvc
p2psvc
PnrpAutoReg

(firewall things)
PLA
BFE
mpssvc
Last edited by jesuscheung on Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
internethandle

Post by internethandle »

Well, today I went ahead and began to strip down the Wow6432Node version of Svchost, and it seems as if my Win 7 64-Bit Ultimate barely even uses it - I was able to delete pretty much everything and not lose any functionality. In terms of SQ, there is a definite effect - more "air"/better instrument separation/lower noise floor, but I'm not nearly as patient as JC with this stuff and did not listen after removing each key/string, just A/B'ed from before I did any stripping and after stripping.

Anyway, at least I can confirm that a) it makes a difference in SQ to modify this area, too and b) it's even less vital than the 32-Bit version of Svchost to the basic functionality of Windows (well, at least Windows 7). Here's more or less where I was when I started in terms of strings (I had already stripped down "LocalService" to just netprofm, but ended up getting rid of this, too, as you'll see in the next image - if I got rid of netprofm in the 32-Bit Svchost I would lose internet connection, so I had initially assumed it shouldn't be deleted here, either, but like many other strings/keys/etc. in the 32-Bit Svchost that I had to keep, it seems that with the 64-Bit version of Svchost they were nonessential):

and where I ended up in terms of strings AND keys (I deleted ALL of the keys under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost when all was said and done with no problems) after stripping:

UPDATE TO ABOVE: also was able to delete both "StiSvc" under the "imgsvc" string as well as the "imgsvc" string itself. Scared to delete anything else... would basically get rid of the 64-Bit Svchost altogether! Heheh.

Here's a picture to show what the keys were before I deleted them (sorry it's cut off, I can name them if people need me to):

jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

update on
---TWEAK 27---
intel HD graphic (hd4000)

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2456&p=49151#p49151
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

XA1040 is out. no need intel C++ redist. coz integrated. soundstage better. vocal better (or worse?). more refined.
Last edited by jesuscheung on Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

internethandle wrote:Well, today I went ahead and began to strip down the Wow6432Node version of Svchost, and it seems as if my Win 7 64-Bit Ultimate barely even uses it - I was able to delete pretty much everything and not lose any functionality....
i actually deleted everything. kept nothing. machine seems to work fine. hehe. SQ increases + decreases. delete too much
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

----TWEAK 29 (continue 2)----
please ignore all previous comments on tweak 29. didn't realize soundstage was damaged.

////////// Svchost tweaking on win2012 ///////////

correctly done you can expect 5-10% increase in overall SQ. incorrectly done you can expect infinite drop in SQ.

please backup! this will take a while until a final list is compiled. i can only guarantee stability of browsing + super SQ + video playback. i don't care about anything else.

this guide assumes you have deleted the same services like i did and have survived since then:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2456&p=48859#p48859

go to:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost]

IGNORE PLEASE. AM NOT HAPPY WITH IT.
Last edited by jesuscheung on Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:32 am, edited 7 times in total.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

still not 100% happy. stage size is 1% less. too focus on bass vibration. forgot to test emotion.

updated tweak 29 (continue 2)

removed the part that improves bass and vibration... shall update again
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

CANCELLED
----TWEAK 30----
disable recovery of running services when failed because it never happened for me.
this will reduce the CPU cycles needed to check for failure of services

1. open services.msc
2. right click any service -> "Properties"
3. go to "Recovery" tab
4. select "Take No Action" for all 3 failures
5. set "Reset fail count after" to 0 days

expect more free sound, everything else the same.
Last edited by jesuscheung on Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.