What are you listening to?

Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Are they both one and the very same Mahler versions Seán?
Perhaps Dave can answer that one for us by comparing the dates on the link with those in his box set. I have to confess that I am very impressed by Bernstein and the NYPO.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Seán wrote:
Perhaps Dave can answer that one for us by comparing the dates on the link with those in his box set. I have to confess that I am very impressed by Bernstein and the NYPO.
The dates dont quite match with what I have. Bernstein and the NYPO feature on both his early and later Maher cycles so it can be confusing.
On the later DG cycle, Bernstein did Symphony 1 with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra whearas the earlier one was with the NYPO.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

One of my favorite organ discs.

Les Grandes Orgues de la Cathédrale
St. Pierre de Beauvais

Works of Boellmann, Guilmant, Saint-Saëns, Vierne, Langlais and Gigout.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

A truely superb recording in every way. One that should be in every classical collection.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

this afternoon's listening: Beethoven's 7th & 8th followed by Bernsteins only recording with the CSO. Trying to get my last few hours of listening in before returning to work tomorrow :-( . Also, a decision needs to be made on the Wadia soon.

Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:this afternoon's listening: Beethoven's 7th & 8th
What do you make of that set Dave? Do you have it Fergus? I have often considered getting it.

I really like the Bernstein/NYPO Shostakovich 5. I expect that the CSO Seven is very enjoyable.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Seán wrote:Beethoven: Hogwood set.
What do you make of that set Dave? Do you have it Fergus? I have often considered getting it.
It's a very good cycle Seán. Its similar in ways to the Gardiner cycle but in places Gardiner takes a more swift tempo. Very difficult to choose between the two as both outdo each other in different symphonies(at least to my tastes anyway).

Seán wrote:I really like the Bernstein/NYPO Shostakovich 5. I expect that the CSO Seven is very enjoyable.
Its really good Seán and well worth the purchase. The build up to the march in the 1st movement is terrific and what a finale!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
DaveF wrote:Image

I have had it for many years now Seán and I think that it is well worth having....my over-riding impression of that set is a rasping brass section.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
Seán wrote:
The dates dont quite match with what I have. Bernstein and the NYPO feature on both his early and later Maher cycles so it can be confusing.
On the later DG cycle, Bernstein did Symphony 1 with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra whearas the earlier one was with the NYPO.
Apparently the earlier Bernstein cycle is the one to have....
fergus

Post by fergus »

Mahler – Two versions of 5 Ruckert-Lieder

1) Baker/Barbirolli
2) Ludwig/von Karajan

The Baker/Barbirolli version has, for me, more refinement and tenderness while the Ludwig/von Karajan versionhas more power and presence. I like both versions very much but the Baker/Barbirolli version is something special indeed!